DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.7L Hemi Governed

14K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  spacebooger 
#1 ·
FYI 2006 5.7L is governed at 110MPH. What a buzz kill. Had an open stretch of highway in front of me but it just wouldn't do any more. The motor limited itself.

#12 ·
Mine only hits 120 now after raising the speed limiter with my SuperChips programmer. It'll either upshift or the converter locks up, not sure but it still feels like it should be pulling more than that.

#24 ·
nothing really......but at that point we run out of Aero....... front end gets light handling gets iffy.

#18 ·
I don't think my '08 has a limiter or I haven't found it yet at least 115+. I hope my '12 isn't gonna die at 100. Best way around this with out voiding the warranty? If I NEED to do 115+ that's my prerogative and I'll deal with the what consequences might come from it (IE wife calls and says there's a prowler or burglar alarm company alerts me and I'm within a few miles of home, work, or church as I respond to all 3). I don't need the bleepin' man telling me no your truck while capable isn't allowed to go that fast. Could it be the 2500's and up aren't limited like the 1500's? The only thing 1500 like about my '08 MegaCab is the badging.

#19 ·
The 2010 11 12 ARE ALL SCREWED and you cant by pass them or buy a programmer for the 11/12 so there no way to bypass it except to rip out the pcm and put in a 2010 and then buy a programmer And megacab ya your screwed on your 2012 the 11/12 all cut out at 105

#21 ·
I just don't see any need to be driving a 5,000 lb truck at over 100mph on the street, no matter what the situation. Are you really going to drive 130mph home from the church because your house alarm went off??? I hope not....puts a lot of people on the road at risk.

Anyway....all that said I have my speed limiter set at 120mph, just because it's an option to change it. I figure one day my truck might be fast enough at the track to actually need that LOL.

#26 ·
I just don't see any need to be driving a 5,000 lb truck at over 100mph on the street, no matter what the situation. Are you really going to drive 130mph home from the church because your house alarm went off??? I hope not....puts a lot of people on the road at risk.

Anyway....all that said I have my speed limiter set at 120mph, just because it's an option to change it. I figure one day my truck might be fast enough at the track to actually need that LOL.
I will back you on that one, I couldnt imagine a tie rod letting go at 120 mph.... thats just my opinion.

#28 ·
I'm not sure what a g55 is...is that the infiniti version of the nissan z car? If so, don't they have like 200 or 300 some hp? I know they are around a 3.5L v6...and I know my friend's 01 LS1 camaro had 360hp from the factory. No way the z is faster (also had another friend that had a 350z and can say for sure it is not faster than the camaro, not even close actually. The camaro's run about 13.8 stock, the z cars probably close to a 15). Also, the camaro cost under $20,000, the z car probably more like $30,000, add the infiniti trim on it and it's probably another $5-10k? Just guesses but I bet I'm on the right track. I think the z is only a two seater too...right?

Mustangs and camaros are fast(relatively), especially for the money. Hell even the new v6 one's make 300hp.

#43 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what a g55 is...is that the infiniti version of the nissan z car? If so, don't they have like 200 or 300 some hp? I know they are around a 3.5L v6...and I know my friend's 01 LS1 camaro had 360hp from the factory. No way the z is faster (also had another friend that had a 350z and can say for sure it is not faster than the camaro, not even close actually. The camaro's run about 13.8 stock, the z cars probably close to a 15). Also, the camaro cost under $20,000, the z car probably more like $30,000, add the infiniti trim on it and it's probably another $5-10k? Just guesses but I bet I'm on the right track. I think the z is only a two seater too...right?

Mustangs and camaros are fast(relatively), especially for the money. Hell even the new v6 one's make 300hp.
Stock 350Zs have run 13.6 near sea level. Current Camaros weigh up to 500 lbs. more than a 350Z. The new Camaros are pigs. My truck's 4,700lb. weight doesn't seem so bad compared to them.

#32 · (Edited)
I gotta add my two cents because of the 18 year olds in Camaros dig. I purchased a 2002 Z28 new in Oct 2001 - it was $28,000 and factory rated at 310hp -the SS was rated at 325hp and had optional gearing of 3.42 with the 6speed. Mine had 2.73 gears, automatic, leather and t-tops so it was basically the slowest LS1 combination available. It ran 14.10s bone stock uncorrected and I never hit a top speed govenor, but I never pushed it above 125mph either.

First time I hit the govenor in my 2003 QC Hemi Ram at 105mph, I was heartboken and immediately ordered my Superchips. Even though I set the govenor to 140mph, I never took it over an estimated (on a 120mph speedo)125mph either because I was running out of testicular fortitude at that point in that big of a truck.

BTW, I still have the Z28 but with 3.73 gears and a couple other small mods (N/A, no nitrous) it now runs 12.5s and chefreds truck is about the only one I wouldn't easily handle. Since I am 40 I guess I busted that stereotype!!!

Notice the nose of the 2011 Express in the background :)

#35 ·
I found the speed limiter on my '03 the hard way, I lost to an SS Silverado on I-10 heading back to MS from TX. I stopped at 105 and he kept right on going. With the stock crap LS tires I totally understood why, but it still sucked. I bought a programmer, then replaced the tires with something better (and higher speed rated, 130 is definitely better than 112) and lifted the limiter.

#36 ·
I found the speed limiter on my '03 the hard way, I lost to an SS Silverado on I-10 heading back to MS from TX. I stopped at 105 and he kept right on going.
Mine was against a 98 Dakota, not even an R/T! Then I found out he had the 5.2L with headers, M1 intake, exhaust, tuner and a Hurst shifted 5-speed so I didn't feel quite as bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.