DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Positive SS/T Identifier?

15K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  carterruss 
#1 ·
Is there any way to positively identify a SS/T? I mean I have been all over the net trying to get that answer with no positive conclusion. Is there a specific digit in the VIN? Something anything. I have seen 1 other VIN and mine matches the first 8 digits as it but I still don't know what that means. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
I believe that the VIN #s last 8 numbers & letters actually tell what the vehicle options are

All of the numbers & letters before that tell just what the base vehicle is & where it was built

the remaining six digits of the VIN, which stand for the truck's serial number and are used as a unique identifier for each truck that is manufactured. These numbers are assigned in the order the vehicle comes off of the assembly line for each truck of the same type.

Read more: How to Decode Dodge Truck VIN Numbers | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5813988_decode-dodge-truck-vin-numbers.html#ixzz1XIHNkopW

#4 ·
There is supposedly a tag attached to the option tag under the carpet, don't know if that is true as I am halfway around the world from the truck. Also I know the option codes for the SS/T but they aren't always on the option tag at least not on the one posted here. The last 6 digits are nothing more then a sequence number. I have compared my VIN to another I have seen on here and they are completely different so I don't think the last 6 have anything to do with options. And the first 11 have absolutely nothing to do with options. It is the same for any regular cab 4x2 ram 1500 with a 5.9l. So I guess the only true way is to have either the window sticker or have the Dodge dealer run the VIN. I had a buddy run mine this morning and it came back as a 1998 Ram 1500 SLT, color PX8 which is black with code AGL which is Silver SST dual stripes. I am just trying to learn all I can about these trucks since there is very little info about them.

#6 ·
Only if you are the registered owner which I am not. But I did have a friend run the VIN, he works at a dealership. But if someone is out and finds what they think is an SS/T there is no definitive way to tell by looking. Unless you possibly can pull the carpet.

#7 ·
Only in 1998 they had a tag under the passengers seat that said "Cardinal Automotive - SS/T".

I have looked in both a 1997 SS/T and a Pace Truck and neither had a similar tag, I do not know why. But, both were proven thats what they were.

The Pace trucks had a tag on the frame with the number 19 I believe. It was red with white raised numbers.

But, you can go to the dealership and give them the vin # and they can tell you the options. Hell...you can give them the vin # over the phone. They won't tell you everything, but, they'll tell you the options.

I was looking at a Ram in the junkyard and didn't feel like getting underneath it to see what rearend gears were in it and if it was a trak-lok...called the nearest dealer with the vin # and told them what I was doing...she told me what rear end and gears it had :p

#11 ·
Yep it sure has a limited-slip in it. Oh and I looked and my 98 doesn't look like it has the tag under the carpet. It is by the jack hold down bracket right? All I saw was just the fender tag looking thing but then again I didn't take my carpet out just the seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.