DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ABS & Brake light on!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  danfox60@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Black SS/T with about 135,000 miles on it, great truck but since the weather just changed to firged cold the ABS & Brake just came on no simptoms with it. What is most common? :4-dontknow:
Thanks Guys!

#2 ·
The only time I have ever had both of the lights come on (ABS and Parking Brake Indicator) was when I blew the rear brake line section that runs across the gas tank. Its a very common area to rust out. A couple years earlier I had a master cylinder o-ring start to go and that also did the same thing. I would check the integrity of the lines and master cylinder then look at the electrical brake sensor. Also, when was the last time the fluid was changed? Brake fluid does go bad over time by it getting heated up and moisture entering the system. There are Brake fluid moisture level testers that you can buy for around 20-30 bucks.

#3 · (Edited)
Brake light switch

After replacing speed control sensor in differential, replacing the complete ABS module (pump and circuit board located on the drivers side fender), I took it to a shop where a friend of mine worked that had a fancy Snapon scanner that supporte ABS trouble codes and it said BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH CLOSED. My brake lights still worked and it was hard for me to believe my brake light switch was bad but I replaced it anyway. When removing the switch mounted just over the brake pedal, I noticed there were 6 wires to the plug and the plunger seemed to have a broke spring internally because the plunger would not extend fully withou help. I bought a new one from Autozone and that fixed my problem. If I had done the scan in the beginning it would have saved me some big bucks and labor chasing the problem of "ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT ON". I'm not sure but the code stored in the ABS module may have to be erased also, but I changed my switch at my friends shop and erased the code after the installation of switch.

#4 ·
ABS & Brake Light on

Guys thanks these are great areas to chk. I will tell you that since I posted my problem last there has been a small but steady brake fluid leak and it is coming from around the fuel tank area. I will chk. and report back. Waiting on weather to get decesent.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.