DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Had a bad day :(

3K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  hemiv8dodgeram1500 
#1 ·
well i had a bit of a rough day last friday, was driving to school as usual and it was raining and i was in a little hurry, came around a sharp turn that i underestimated, i was doing about 50 and probably should have done about 35 but anyways there was another truck coming in the other lane and i swerved at the last second and hit them. I barely avoided a head on and you can bet i will be slowing down from now on. Nobody was hurt and the wierd thing is i hit my best friend's girlfriend and her mom of all people. It totaled the other truck because it knocked them of in the ditch and completely knocked out their rear axle out from under it. Insurance guy says mine is covered so it's gonna get fixed. But the real question is I have 35" toyo open countries and a 2.5" leveling kit and 1.5" wheel spacers. The spacer for the wheel and the strut spacer looked ok to me but the tire is questionable, will the insurance replace all of that and have it just the way it was before i had the wreck or what?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
hah if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that i would be heading to a dodge dealer ship right now ha, thats good to hear about the insurance fixing it back to normal thank goodness

i heard that Rams are desinged for the tire to fold under it like that so it doesnt flip or something like that

and if you look in the background to the right you can see the truck in the ditch i hit

#6 ·
Sorry Guy ,,, tuff one

#7 ·
truck can be repaired back to like new condition -- you cant -- glad you and the other people are ok .

it looks like you have about $5000 in damage -- make sure you ask for factory oem parts . if you have no choice with aftermarket parts , just make sure they are CAPA certified . used parts are good because they are factory parts and have to be same year or newer . hopefully your insurance company uses new oem suspension parts and not aftermarket or used ..

again glad you are still with us to talk about it .

#16 ·
A 16 y/o in a 40k truck? Wow....

Don't mean to bust your balls - but if you can afford your truck, you can afford the insurance.

It's pretty much a fact of life for a new driver - you're going to over estimate your capabilities and ding something. Just be glad no one got hurt in the accident.

Best thing you can do is learn from this experience.

#12 ·
glad that everyone is OK.

Like has been said before trucks can be fixed or replaced. that isn't so easy to do with people.

Hopefully you'll consider this an expensive learning experience...You now know what you should not be doing when it's raining...

Exco

#14 ·
That windshield decal.

Irony!

#19 ·
I had a H-O collision back in 02 when I was 18. Looking too far ahead making a turn and didnt see a minivan headed my way. I was driving a 2nd gen Dakota with a 4-cyl in it. That's prolly what saved my bacon. The extra crumple space in front of the engine.

Glad your safe dude but like was previously stated slow down. I'm a trucker so I drive alot. A good rule to remember is the speed limit is typically under ideal conditions, not inclement weather.

Peace out
Chris

#28 ·
Man, I feel sorry for you.. I had a similar accident when I was 19 years old. It was my first brand new car, with only 800 miles on it. This was my first and only accident, my insurance tripled to over 330 bucks per month. I had to sell the car afterwards, no way I could afford insurance payment higher than the car payment! That was 19 years ago exactly, so that was stupid high for a insurance premium. Even by todays standards. I had to buy a beater to drive for the next three years. Glad everyone is ok, that is the important thing.

#33 ·
Especially not a 400 HP truck. My first truck was a 98 ext cab Dakota. 4-cyl with a 5spd. Slow as hell but it was mine...

And I def agree about that sticker, lose it fast!
Exactly. My first car was a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville with the 421 V8. WAY too damn much car, and I ended up never really driving it. The one that I actually got my driving experience in was a 1982 Mazda B2000 truck. 2.0L wheezing little four banger and 4 speed manual tranny. No weatherstripping on the doors so they rattled over EVERY little imperfection on the road.

This kid needs an old Chevy Chevette or Ford Pinto to drive. ;)

#32 ·
Well we all do stupid shit when were new drivers you need to learn from it and drive safer I'm glad everyone is ok. Just remember your driving a truck, had the other truck been a car you might seriously have hurt and or killed someone and even if you didn't go to jail for it you would have to live with it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.