DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Another dream truck

4K views 68 replies 11 participants last post by  Bigred74 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The title of the ad says $4150. The description says $4450. Which is it?

But I actually like this truck more than the white one. Nicer tires for a kickoff. Paint looks good too.

#3 ·
i actually really like that truck! hot damn.

very clean

#4 ·
4450, im not sure i talked to them on the phone, they wont budge on the price, but then i also haves taxes tags and title that will run me over 5k, i was doing research on the white truck, it has a factory 1.5in lift is that the offroad package, also the two tone paintjob classifys it as hd.

#6 ·
OK let me tell you guys my plan, i love cummins, my real dream truck, my plan was to buy on a cheaper, stock, ready for some mods, drive for little bit, then make a profit, save some more and buy a cummins, 2nd gen cummins are going for 6-8k with 180000 to 200000 miles down here. I told myself in the beggining i cant go over 3500$

#7 ·
I would go see them. Test drive it. Check it over. Its got a dent or two on the tailgate. Tell them their ad says $4150. Show them if necessary. Try and get them down. Nothing to lose by trying to get them to work w you. Nothing to lose by trying to get some dollars off.

#9 ·
And get underneath it and check for rust and crusty old mud indicating that it might have been driven offroad. If so, that's money off for possible issues down the line for having been driven hard. And while you're under it, check joints, boots, seals for leaking..

#12 ·
Ok, thats one thing when i looked under the white truck, the driveshaft looked brand new, it was completely rust free, he told me he never took it off road and it sure looks like it, also they said the black truck had been a work truck, pulled a trailer for most of the 120000. For some reason i just really like the white truck, maybe its the paint but in person it looks great, it sits perfect with 1.5 in lift. I think a big factor is seller trust.

#10 ·
always skeptical when i see an older truck up your way without rust. looks good though. what gearing does the truck have?

the trans in those years were a bit "iffy" so i would make sure i wasn't dumping everything i had into it. i would want a fairly good reserve of cash ready to do repairs.

#11 ·
If you want it, its worth driving to see it and be prepared to buy it. Have cash in hand. Money talks, bullshit walks. Check all the lights to make sure the bulbs work. Inside and out. When you drive it, make sure it doesn't pull left or right. See if it's got get up and go. See if it hesitates under acceleration. Should be smooth. Check the braking. Look at the rotors and pads see if they're worn out..
Be thorough but don't expect to buy a used truck and not have some things to replace. Its got enough miles that things will be going on it..

#13 ·
Yes, thats where i get a jam, with 3000 out the door i have a 1.5k buffer for things to be put on or fixed replaced, on the white truck he has paperwork on new reared, new battery,tires, brand new headlights with replacment bulbs, new brakes all the way around. Also he told me the tranny has had a rebuild in 2010.

#14 ·
Sounds to me like you're already sold on the white one. And having a buffer is key. Its not a new truck. No warranty. And it doesn't matter how much stuff has been replaced, There's always going to be something else eventually. I say rock the white one.

#16 ·
For sure. And I hate it when I want to buy something and the seller won't negotiate. It's not a Faberge egg. It's a truck. There are literally millions to choose from. If the seller of the white one has given you a good price and you like the truck, AND you have money left over for after, you're good to go.

#17 ·
Yeah thats one thing with the white truck he has worked with me and come down a lot. It seems like he has taken all the preventive maintenance possible, you should see the tool box, should be called a parts box, he has every fluid in there, replacment belts filters, lights, gaskets. He really took care of the truck. It will get up and go even being stock, steering steers like my grandfathers charger, and brakes are brand new so they do there job. all it needs is a new ac condenser installed he already has the part. Ant the tranny fluid gasket but thats no big deal.

#18 ·
That's it. The sense that the truck has been well looked after. That's what you want.

#20 ·
I agree. Even better that he's a mech. If I were you, I would jump all over the white one while you can.

#22 ·
5.2 firefighter, just do a little research on whatever trans it has so you can ask the right questions about it. as far as i know a 5.9 will last a long time if cared for. unless i am mistaken some trannie work or replacement my be in your future. wouldn't stop me me from buying at that price though. good luck and keep up some up dates.

#31 ·
Whats up guys, I'm went to go get the white one, and happened to try and engage the 4x4, couldnt get it, said screw that and went to get the black one, took her for a drive and i could turn the wheel from the 12 position to the 9 position and over to the 3 position and still be driving in a straight line down the road....that was a bummer... but i know have found this truck 2002 1500 quad cab 5.9 360 alt with a bunch of stuff on it 174000 5500 firm he says but cash can change that right away haha, what do you guys think?http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4156894755.html

#32 ·
That sucks. But I don't think I would have given up on the white one so easily. That's a great negotiating tactic. Maybe see if the owner is amenable to going to a dealer and having the problem diagnosed to see how much to get it fixed and deduct that amount from the price. If he won't do that, maybe he already knew and knows its a costly job. If he is willing to go to a dealer, then he probably didn't know and its worth finding out.
I don't like the red one. I see no indication of parts replaced or upgraded other than a filter. And I find it hard to believe things haven't needed it after 175k miles. I think you're over extending w the same risk of issues coming up once you own it.

#33 ·
I would tend to agree with this, the red one looked like it could have been rode pretty hard with everything in the pictures, and with that white one having all the maintenance reports you hand mentioned it would make me as a buyer sleep better. and like LowUFO said you can make that a haggling point and maybe get an even better deal.

#34 ·
Not so much of a fan of the red one as the white one... Would defenitely see if you could get the white one checked out with the 4x4.. Could just be something as simple as a bolt of linkage being loose. And might be able to get a better price from the guy. At least he has records of the truck and has kept it well maintained.

#35 ·
Yes it was a bummer, i thought i would drive the black truck home, im still interested in the white truck, but for a thousand more if i could find something with lower miles. Her is something which is very close to me. 01 dodge ram 1500 ext cab 4x4 with only 66K miles!!!It has some upgraded features and the only problem i see is clear coat pealing on the roof, but that sjows it is the original paint. What do you guys think, and cash talks.http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4136741160.html

#36 ·
Real nice truck but a little pricey for an 01. The roof you could also ways just sand down and rockerguard it black for shits and giggles. I hate when caps don't match the truck though.. So you could always sell that to make some of the money back. Does the owner have any records or any known issues with the truck?

#38 ·
I like the mileage on that one and the paintwork could be fixed for under a grand. I would offer six thou for it. But again, if you're maxing out your budget, how will you affect repairs to the paint?

#39 ·
This guy sent me pictures of the interior on the red one with 66k on it, it is more than mint, he even replaced the dash! Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack haha. Now this is 1500 more than my budget allowed for, but, this has only 66k miles, which should not require major repairs anytime soon which i was expecting on the cheaper higher mileage truck.

#40 ·
Well, other than the paint, it looks cool. Make him an offer. Lets get you in a Ram before the New Year..

#42 ·
Sounds interesting. But if you do get it, I would sort out the paint first. Just get a body shop to blend in at the pillars and you should be able to get it done for $500-$750.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.