DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.9L Cummins thrust bearing

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mackstevend 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever heard or had the thrust bearing breaking in an '06 Cummins?
My truck has 101,000 miles on it. The dealer offered to replace the engine with a remanufactured long block if I split the cost with them. I had replaced the transmission 2 days before and the general thoughts were that the transmission shop may have put the wrong torque convertor in and caused significant pressure on the end of the crank and cuase premature failure of the thrust bearing with excessive wear. Then I would have been liable for the entire cost of the dealers repairs, $18,000 to $20,000. So I moved the truck to a different shop (Dynomite Diesel, Monroe, WA) to do all the work. This shop pulled the engine and dropped the pan and found the thrust bearing to be broken. Has anybody ever heard of this problem with only 100,000 miles on a Cummins?

Greg

#2 ·
I have never heard of this before. I would tend to agree that somebody did something wrong to cause this. My Neighbor is a farmer and he had a '90 dually 4x4 cummins with 340K when he traded it in on an '05 dually and never touched the engine. Ive seen him do things that should have destroyed that truck but didnt! Good luck with the truck. :smileup:

G
#3 ·
I've never heard of a thrust bearing going bad with that few miles. If the torque converter was the wrong stall speed I don't think it would cause a thrust bearing failure but if it was installed wrong, it could cause excessive torque shock which isn't a good thing for any bearing on the crank.

#4 ·
Mine went on a 2002 5.9 with Manual Trans, at 111,700 miles. Unfortunately, it didn't just drop down in the pan. The fodder it created while bouncing around eventually made it's way through the oil pump and filter, then clogged the oil squirter for the #1 piston cylinder. The upper half of the thrust bearing is a three piece assembly with the side walls "staked" to the main bearing. Stamped "Gr. Britain" Can't believe Cummins put this junk in a working truck. The Picture is all I found left.
Steve

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.