Fan Clutch Question - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Black
Rep:10
Rebhays27 is on a distinguished road
Default Fan Clutch Question

I'm still chasing my overheating problem I used the newspaper trick to check the Fan Clutch I need help deciphering my results (2009 ram 4.7L)
Upon startup the single page of newspaper stopped the fan as expected.* Once it came to temperature the paper would not stop the fan.**
Here is my question I drove the truck about 5 miles and it started to heat up (220 normal is @199)*I popped the hood the electronic fan was blowing but the*
Fan was just barely turning to the point i had no reservation in stopping it with my hand and yes the engine was still running.* Is this the result of a bad fan clutch
or a symptom of something else.* I am planning on replacing the water pump I'm starting to see trace evidence of seepage being slung in the engine compt would a bad WP
cause this fan to react this way.* TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016
Rep:72
pacofortacos will become famous soon enough

A bad waterpump can cause the thermostat not to open.
Is your rad hot? Is the electric fan blowing hot air?

If your 2009 ram setup was the same as my old dakota, the electric fan is more than capable of keeping the engine cool by itself.

Is the rad hose hot?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Currently the thermostat is not in the truck I removed it when I started experiencing the overheating issues the hoses do not seem as ht as the temp gauge indicates but yes it gets hot seems like the lower is hotter than the upper when its idling but after driving it around it seems to equal out but the radiator cap does not get hot unless it runs for a long time

Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 AM

Did you try idling with the rad cap off? If you can do that, you can check the temp of the water with a thermometer.
It could be just a sensor, could be a plugged radiator, could be a bad water pump not circulating correctly, could be a lot of things.

I would try to verify the actual temp if possible.

Are the heater hoses hotter than the rad hoses after running?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes I have idled it without the cap have never thought of checking the temp I have been trying to decide which was the issue radiator, water pump, or fan. Like I said previously I see a slight ring in the engine compt that looks like a water pump weeping but I wasn't sure if the bad pump would mimic a bad Fan clutch I put clear hoses on the water pump to heater core to see of it as turning it did seem like it was moving water but I also have been concerned with a clogged radiator but do not know how to determine if it is in fact clogged I don't want to send a clear radiator to the shop just to be charged for nothing
Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 AM

You have a stock electric fan on it correct?
Without a thermostat and the cap off, you should see water flowing at quite a decent rate through the upper rad hose.
A bad pump can mimic a plugged rad.
The fan relies on heat to engage, so if the rad isn't getting hot, then the mechanical fan really won't engage.

I would take the cap off, check the flow at just above idle (water should be rushing through the upper rad hose) and verify the temp.
Not much flow can be pump or rad, but if your pump is leaking start there - there have been impellers go bad.

If you do change the water pump, pull both hoses off of the rad and try flushing it with a garden hose at full flow - it should easily pass all of the water a hose throws at it.
Or if you are going to do the pump, you could use a coolant flush before hand and see if it helps - don't do it after as they tend to ruin water pumps.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

This all started when I reverse flushed my heater core I wasn't getting any heat from my heater. I did a chemical flush and used a flush kit but installed the T in a separate hose so I did not cut my current hose. Didn't really see a big change however when doing all this with my current problem having my heater on and at full it cranks the heat now. Yes I have the stock fan on still and I do see water flowing over the coils but without a reference I don't know what good flow looks like but it does seem to be moving well. I'll check the flow when I change the pump and let you know may be a few days thanks for your time and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement