DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Gas Mileage while towing?

26K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  jagman1995 
#1 ·
what do you get for mpg when towing?

#3 ·
I just got back from the beach and we have a popup right now 2300 lbs its 252 miles to beach and I got 17 mpg doing between 65 and 70 in tow/haul mode. I have the 4.7 not hemi and I have the 3.55 rear.

#5 ·
I went to Florida and back from Ottawa Canada with a +/- 5500lbs Travel Trailer and I average 8.7mpg (hand calc), which is better than I was getting with my 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 and 3.73 rear axle towing the same.

The size/shape of the trailer will affect the mpg the most, TTs being on of the worse in my mind...

I was averaging 10 mpg on the EVIC all the way but then I hit the mountains in PA and NY state and it went south...

Truck was 2 weeks old and just broken in, so I expect it will go up a bit in the future.

5.7 Hemi with 3.92

Cheers

#10 ·
I have a 1500 with 3.55 gears. I just towed a 7500 lb toy hauler, 10k I figure with my 3 ATV's, 20 gal fuel station and 112 gals of water and all my other crap. 8-9 MPG averaged through the Utah mountains. If I did this every week or even every month, I'd buy a diesel. I was very impressed by the power of the Hemi though. I think I surprised a few people as I passed them going up the mountain pass. BTW I could've got better MPG had I even driven the speed limit, but I was so pumped about how much power I had that I had to go for it.

#11 ·
I tow about 6500lbs most of the time. I get between 9 and 12mpg depending on the wind. 3.92 gears.

#12 ·
I just got back from a 500 Mile trip through PA mountains into Ohio. I was towing a 97 Grand Marquis( approximately 3800 lbs) on a Uhaul car hauler(approx. 2100lbs.) Never had a problem holding 65 miles per hour on any hill. I got 13.6 mpg towing that load (hand calculated.) Can't say for the second tank because I dropped it and drove almost 200 miles after dropping the trailer. It handled the load flawlessly. I have the 3.55 rear end. I noticed that I was getting a little bit better mileage out of mine than some other posts but might be because of a tonneau, cold air intake, and the car being hauled was more aerodynamic than some trailers. I know this is a little over half of what the tow rating is for this truck, but really could not believe how well it handled it.

#13 ·
I have 3:92 gears in my truck at about 6100lbs with my trailer. I'm averaging about 250 miles with my old 30ft trailer which was about 9500lbs. I'm hoping with the lighter trailer it will be better. I was thinking of putting in a programmer for better towing and fuel mileage but I'm not sure which one is the best

#15 ·
I towed a Subaru Outback on a U-Haul auto transport. With the stuff inside the car included, I figured it to weigh around 6,000 lbs. I towed it from Newfoundland to Saskatchewan which was 5300 km (Google tells me thats around 3300 miles). During the tow I averaged 35 L/100km which again, Google tells me is 9.4 MPG. This was averaging 110 km/h (70 MPH). Now that I sit here and type it I realize the fuel mileage was poor to say the least.

#17 ·
If you plan to tow, expect somewhere in the range of 10mpg give or take. That held true with my F250 diesel hauling 9000lbs, my Silverado 1500 hauling 9000lbs and the father inlaws sierra 2500 diesel hauling 14000lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.