DODGE RAM FORUM banner

First time towing my boat

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Billb 
#1 ·
Have had my Ram for a few months now. Towed my 240 Sea Ray Sundancer about 90 miles mostly highway this last weekend. The boat on the trailer full of gas plus gear is about 8,000 pounds. I was extremely impressed with the towing power of the HEMI, couldn't have asked for more.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice truck and boat you've got there. I just pulled my bass boat with my new Ram for the first time this past weekend. Didn't have to go quite as far as you did to reach the lake but it towed like a dream every inch of the way. Love that Hemi on those steep hills and inclines.

#5 ·
awesome pic ( :rep: ) Im glad you love your RAM :D

#6 ·
Yep, me too! This past weekend was my first tow with my Hemi powered Dodge. 240 mile round trip camping weekend.

I tow a 9000 lb. (fully loaded) fifth wheel camper. I came over to Dodge from a competitor's diesel powered truck, and, quite frankly, was a little nervous about towing with a gasser. Well, after this weekend, my nervousness vanished completely.

Yes, I knew the trailer was back there, but this Hemi pulled it effortlessly. No screaming rpm's, no pistons popping through the hood's sheet metal like cannon balls. Just plain, smooth power that was a pleasure to drive. I had lots of accelerator peddle left through any maneuver, whether entering the interstate or passing.

The factory trailer brake controller is awesome as well as the tow/haul mode. Love the factory engine brake too when tow/haul engaged.

I know my gas mileage will be lower than the diesel, but being able to pull up to any pump and lower maintenance costs more than make up for it. I didn't buy the truck for good mpg's anyway.

I was very impressed with my Ram's towing ability. I give it a 10 out of 10.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Transport

#7 ·
Blackthunder - Sweet. Thanks for sharing the info and the pic! That's a good lookin' rig and camper.

#8 ·
Nice truck and boat. thanks for the pic. DODGE RAM is a powerful truck for sure.

#9 ·
New Ram

800 miles on my new Ram and went from Vancover, BC to Denver, towed a car trailer with a 56 Plymouth on it from Denver to Vancouver, total over 3,000 miles This truck is amazing, 22 MPG on the way down and 14 MPG on the way back. The Hemi towed thru the mountains like a dream. I had a Dakota before with the 4.7 and it was good but nothing like this truck. For Canadians the MPG would be 27 and 17. Now that it is broken in I am getting 16-18 MPG in the city.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.