DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need some towing advice please - new camper purchase

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  emmyshemi 
#1 ·
I want to make sure I'm not maxing out my 2010 ST 1500 4.7 V8

what would be a comfortable travel trailer weight and hitch weight?

Looking at a 29 footer, 5000 pounds dry weight and 480 tongue weight.

I don't like using the "sales" RAM SPECS from website, I'd rather hear from others in the real world.

Thanks

#4 ·
Your not going to be happy. Weigh that trailer (dont use the published specs) and your going to find its going to be a lot heavier than you think even without water and propane.

The biggest issue with a traveler trailer is going to be frontal area. That will effect the truck more at highway speeds than the weight.

#5 ·
Just picked her up yesterday and I was VERY shocked how well the truck pulls the camper. VERY SMOOTH! And honestly, it's smoother than my 20 foot Jayco Jayfeather 197 Sport. Never used a sway bar before but it's on there and we'll see how it is on the highway. I did 55 down a main road home and it towed no problem, no strain on the engine at all. Very happy I did this and I feel so much better after towing it.

Attachments

#7 ·
Though i must ask, if you were buying this truck to two something so large, why didnt you atleast step up to the hemi motor?

#9 ·
If that trailer is dry weight is 5000 lbs, it will be at least 6000 - 6500 lbs loaded.

I used to tow a 5000 hybrid with a 04 Ram with the 4.7l. Any incline or speed above 55 mph and it would really heat up and work hard. I would think you are certainly at the max for the 4.7. Luckly your engine is new and you might not have many problems, but over time I think you will find it lacks power.

I went to the HEMI and now tow our 6300 lbs (loaded) 29 foot travel trailer and I wouldn't want any trailer any bigger than this. To each there own.

Your trailer looks very nice, enjoy!

#11 ·
One other thing, you might look into a high capacity diff cover for your rear axle to keep the diff lube cooler. Good looking setup you got though!

#12 ·
I also have a travel trailer I tow with my 09 crew cab 4x4. When fully loaded, including suff in the bed, the rear looked to be sagging a bit. I had installed Airlift 1000 spring helpers in the rear coil springs, and what a diffrence. The truck is 100% level, and feels much more stable. They say the helpers add 1000 lbs capacity. Just a Idea for you once you get the trailer loaded up.. They were cheap, easy to install, and make a huge diffrence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.