DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Chrome vs No Chrome: Thoughts?

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Todd05 
#1 ·
I know it comes down to personal preference and I actually like both looks. However, since my Ram came with the Chrome Pkg I decided to go with the chrome vent visors. Still getting used to the look. Almost tempted to add the chrome door pillar post and side mirror covers. I figure as long as I've gone this far with the chrome why not go all the way. Definitely planning to add the chrome fuel door and already have the chrome Mopar hood deflector on order.

What do you think? Too much chrome?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking truck. Like you said, it is a personal choice and although I'm not big on chrome, the vent visors look good! :smileup:

- Cajun

#4 ·
I hear ya. Kind of wish I had gone with the smoke colored ones. I don't think I could return them once I've installed them. I might look into it just to confirm.

Getting windows tinted on Wednesday, so that's one more thing to check off my list.

Thanks for the objective opinions!

#6 ·
my Ram is orange, i added smoked vent visors & bug shield, everything else was black powder coated
the rims were chrome clad
i liked it as it was then

then i added rims that were black with a machine finish
now i think that i have too much black, seems to have changed the whole look

[/URL]
[/URL]

#8 ·
I have the chrome package on mine as well. I added smoke window deflectors because I like the more subdued look. Plan on adding the bug shield very soon. Front windows are getting tinted tomorrow so that should help the deflectors blend into the windows. Instead of adding chrome to the window pillars, I took the blackout tape off instead to highlight the paint (pics on another thread at http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83107). I also plan to remove the chrome door moldings and debadge.

In short, I like some chrome just not too much. But as others have said, do what you like. It is your truck and as long as you are happy with the result, that is all that matters.

#9 ·
yea like you and Cajun said, it comes down to personal preference, I personally dont like much chrome at all, so much so, that when I bought my Harley I bought a Night Train just because of the lack of chrome, but if you think it looks good thats all the matters.

#15 ·
I'm finding that Ram owners are similar to Harley owners, you either like chrome or you black out your bike/truck. I like chrome a lot! always have and I think I always will. It can be a pain to mantain especially on my bike, but I love the contrast look of chrome on a dark paint scheme.

#10 · (Edited)
I think I'm one of the few people that actually still likes chrome, alot... but it has to be done tastefully. MY personal opinion (which I believe with all my heart is correct, lol) is this. The chrome handles, door molding, badges and steps look beyond awesome with that paint color. It is probably one of the best contrasts I have seen. However, I think that the window area looks best as a black area (front window tinted to match rear window, and the pillar covers left black), especially in your color. When you start making the 3 come together, black windows, grey paint, and chrome posts, or vents, I find it just tends to look confusing and broken up like a collage. If your truck were mine (which I sort of wish ir was), The only think I think I would change would be to paint your front grille the body color (like the sports), and leave your bumpers chrome. I think that would really tie the whole truck together.
Hope you have fun with it. Looks great.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input Wayne084. Not sure about painting the grill, but like the other ideas. Was considering removing the blackout tape though. I hear if you're going to do that at all it's best to do it early so wear on the paint will match the rest of the truck as it ages.

#12 ·
Totally up to you. Personally I like it with the tape removed. Some do, some don't. If you check out the link I sent in my earlier post on this thread and scroll down, I posted some pics of some mineral gray trucks that had it removed. Might give you an idea of what it looks like to help you make a decision.

#13 ·
I'm a fan of the chrome but for some reason I'm not into the chrome vent visors. Mine are the smoke and I think they look the best with tinted windows. I do plan to add the door strips, bug deflector and mirror covers in chrome on mine. So it's all up to you; it really matters what you think.:smileup:

#14 ·
Sent you a PM about my door moldings. Let me know if you are interested.

#16 ·
Gotta say I am a chrome fan too, but I think of it like perfume on a fine lady - too much is not always better.

Now that you have them on, see how you like them over time. Can always paint them, buff them, or vinyl wrap them to get a different look, and not have to get rid of your investment.

Either way, your truck still looks great, and happy modding! :smileup:

#18 ·
me personally im not a fan of having everything chromed out but like you said it all comes down to personal preference...as long as you like it thats all that matters:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.