Air Lift 1000 - first impressions - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trim Level: Laredo 75th Anny
Color: Billet Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice
Default Air Lift 1000 - first impressions

Well, I finally just went ahead and bought them instead of wondering about it any further. I wanted to accomplish a few things. One, try to eliminate the bounciness when towing. Two, improve cornering. Three, of course, eliminate excessive squat when loaded. So, here are my observations. Sorry, no pics. I figured the installation has been covered enough on the internet and I basically followed the instructions.

Installation

Pretty tough getting the bags into the springs. When you fold them flat they become wider and therefore you are required to basically fold them in on the sides to squeeze them in. You have to jack up and support the frame, remove the tires and lower the axle a little so you can install the line over the fitting on the top of the bag. Make sure you don't lower the axle too much and damage the brake line. I ran separate lines to control each side and to (supposedly) eliminate bleeding from side to side when cornering.

Driving

I put 16lbs in each bag. I could immediately notice the difference. I wouldn't say the ride was more harsh but rather more stiff. It felt much tighter. I hit the nearest highway on ramp to see if my cornering concerns were addressed. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that, yes in fact, they were. The truck felt much tighter going around the ramp. I take this ramp almost every day so I know the truck's limits and how it used to feel at certain speeds. I am very satisfied with the results.

I'm hoping the truck will feel even better when towing. I may not find this out until next year.

All in all, a great mod for $90 and about 1.5 hrs of your time.

EDIT: almost forgot, the rear tires were a beyotch to get off. The centre hub has started rusting already!!! Nice. I had to beat the crap out of them side to side and top to bottom to get them off. I will have to sand them down and slap a few coats of Tremclad on them before winter. No time for that today.

Last edited by ONOutdoorsman; 09-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

i didn't take my tires off to install mine. i jacked the frame up until the rear tires started to come off the ground. then i simply got underneath and installed everything. i ran the line across in a channel under the bed that runs above the axle. i will agree the bags were a little hard to slip in, but i found that standing on them lets the air out best.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

crap, i hit post too soon.

i agree the ride is a little stiffer, but definitely better cornering.

i ran a single line, i only bought 1 compressor and did not see the need currently for dual.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trim Level: Laredo 75th Anny
Color: Billet Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgcet View Post
i agree the ride is a little stiffer, but definitely better cornering.
I was surprised to feel how much better the cornering was after the install. I was contemplating getting a bigger anti sway bar but the bags were the more economical choice.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Revel Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1804
fastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant future

Great review on them....now I need to figure out if this works with a lifted ram
Would you happen to know?

click here ---> Got Factory Air Suspension? - Want to Lift or Lower? <---click here

Contact us via email at
sales@revelperformance.com

Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

I used a heat gun to warm up the bags a bit...worked great. I took the wheels off, didn't have any troubles with that.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Rep:10
Assault this is on a distinguished road

I threw mine in the oven so I could just handle them with bare hands left the tire on and jack up the frame to stretch the springs slid them in pretty easy
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Megacab 4wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Great review on them....now I need to figure out if this works with a lifted ram
call airlift and give them the measurement of the space in your coil. they probably already have a kit for another vehicle that will fit....depending on how high you are. a guy here did that for those of us that are lowered and turns out the Durango kit fits.

nice write up to the OP.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Revel Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1804
fastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ RP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
call airlift and give them the measurement of the space in your coil. they probably already have a kit for another vehicle that will fit....depending on how high you are. a guy here did that for those of us that are lowered and turns out the Durango kit fits.

nice write up to the OP.
I'll call again and inquire. They told me the one for our truck still fits.

click here ---> Got Factory Air Suspension? - Want to Lift or Lower? <---click here

Contact us via email at
sales@revelperformance.com

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Megacab 4wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
I'll call again and inquire. They told me the one for our truck still fits.
just saw your signature...they told you that with 8" of lift. lol. hopefully you'll get someone smarter when/if you call back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement