DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What you guys think ball hitch

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Inferno10 
#1 ·
I had a friend build a 9 in drop hitch since the truck is lifted .. im curious to know ur opinion if this could fail or not..

See less See more
#7 ·
Would need to see the whole set-up. Those pics don't provide enough info...

#9 ·
Should work. Guess it all depends on what you hook up to it.

#14 ·
Well....you always got the safety chains, lol , actually with that grade of bolts, you shouldn't be too bad off.

#16 ·
hahaha i just want to make sure since the trailer have all my racing equipement... it would be desastrous if something happened !!

What take all the force on a hitch like that? from accelerating and brake (the lower bar ) or from up and down? )

#17 ·
You may be OK. The ball is only rated 6k, and you say you tow 5k.

Well, you probably weakened the ball/shank some when you welded it on, as it was designed and rated for being bolted on, not welded.

#20 ·
As long as the bolts & nuts are at least Grade 8, you should not have any issues
i wouldn't trust Grade 5 & Grade 2 or 3 is a joke

Grade 8 bolts have 6 radial lines on top of the bolt head

#23 ·
That looks extremely sturdy. The welds are good and the steel is very thick. Assuming the hardware used is grade 8 or similar/better i'd say you have overkill for class III towing(5000-6000 lb). I'd guess it'd be fine for up to 10,000 lb but without any rating I wouldn't do it(if something happens you would have major legal issues).

You could always take it somewhere and have them hang 10,000 or 15,000 lbs from it to ensure it is safe and establish a rating. We have to do this at work sometimes when they require ratings for chokers, straps, etc. for a lift or crane. Basically you hang so much weight from it and if it holds it you put a sticker on it that says it's certified for that amount of weight(there are places that do this).

#25 ·
Have you seen the hitches most people use? They are thinner steel plate with less weld. You have thicker steel, a shit load of weld area, and the steel is even reinforced with angle. Whatever the ball is rated for, I'd be more than comfortable towing that amount. I'd bet it'd hold more than what you're buying.

#27 ·
I think you made the right choice in ordering one, since youd lose everything youll ever own in a lawsuit if the one your buddy made for you fails and causes serious injury or death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.