DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Top Edge of Windshield sealed?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  2013Ram 
#1 ·
So spent the day yesterday detailing the outside of our new RAM... washed, iron-x, clay bared, polished and sealed. Looks great!

However, as I was washing it I noticed some black tar looking stuff that was smeared on top of the hood in one spot noticed a little more on the roof. Then saw that just on the passenger side of the windshield at the top edge where it meets the roof line there was some black tar looking caulking type stuff that was smeared into the gap. It only went across about half way or so. So the rest of the top edge of the windshield is just an open gap. It doesn't look very professional and looks like it was an after thought.

I'm questioning if it leaked when the dealer ran it through their car wash and so they tried to address it or if something was missed right from the factory.

Do any of you have a picture you could share of the top edge of the windshield that shows how it was finished off?

Is there supposed to be some kind of sealant in that gap?
Is the gap just open?
Is there some kind of weather stripping that was suppose to be there?

I haven't had it out in the rain yet to know if anything leaks but I didn't see anything from when I washed it but that is a very little amount of water and not at driving speeds.

Another thing to add to the list to check on arrival. Was very hard to notice even out in the sunlight against the dark color.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like it is exactly as you described. Could have leaked and the dealer tried to seal it. There is no evidence of sealant at the top of mine. It either leaked as you said or put too much on when they set the windshield in place at the factory. My suggestion would be to take it to a reputable glass company and see if they can clean it and make it look a little better. I know it is a new vehicle and I would be pissed if I had to take it to an outside source for repair but I certainly would not trust the dealer to make it right. Best of luck...........

#5 ·
Yeah, I was considering taking it to a glass place just to see what they thought. I thought that as well if they put too much in that location when setting it and it came out but typically in a factory setting they have a gun/tool that puts out an exact amount each time, so that doesn't seem right either.

Thought it looked funny with that big of a gap at the top and nothing in it to seal it. seems like water would pool there and then freeze (for those of us in the north country).

You don't notice it from the ground at all so from a looks standpoint I don't care too much, but I don't want to find out that my wife is getting rained on the first time we are traveling in the rain and it leaks.

#6 ·
The factory does put the sealant on with a robot but a lot of times the glass is pushed on by hand to ensure a good seal. Sometimes when someone new is on the job or just being trained and don't have the technique down, they'll put too much pressure on the glass and squeeze the sealant out more than it should be.

#8 ·
Two things:
1.) My truck does not look like that. No extra sealant.
2.) I've been in multiple assembly plants. Every one I've been in uses a robot to install the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.