DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What special tools do you need to rebuild a differential?

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
Discovered that the rear pinion seal was leaking on the truck when I got it, I don't know how long this was going on and how much damage has been done to the innards of the differential from ups and downs of lube, I have a growling noise when coasting or basically anytime I let off the gas at any speed. I haven't pulled the cover off the pumpkin yet to check things out but thinking of ordering a rebuild kit for it. What all special types of tools will I need to do the rebuilt properly and do you have to buy them or can they be rented?

#2 ·
Several specialty tools are needed to complete this installation. A hub puller removes the outer pieces of the axle. Also, an oversized specialty socket may be necessary to remove the nut that holds the hub to the axle housing. This will depend on the year and model of the truck. Once the outer pieces of the axle have been removed, a good socket set will be needed to remove the differential cover as well as the carrier bearings. When you start the installation process, use a micrometer to measure shims for the carrier. Also use an inch-lb. and foot-lb. dial indicator for measuring the forces of torque on a bolt.

#3 ·
I had this done on my old 2002. The pinion seal never leaked but it was growling over 30 or so and when coasting. With the headache involved and the amount of speciality tools I would have had to buy I just opted to have it totally rebuilt, new carrier and pinion bearings and all new seals. The culprit ended up being the pinion bearings. Cost to have it totally rebuilt= $1200 and change. Having the head gasket blow less then 3 months later= PRICELESS.

#4 · (Edited)
As a temporary thing
make sure your fluid level is within an inch of the fill/check plug
if it has the Limited Slip Differential, does it have the proper modifier fluid

If the Pinion Seal is leaking, you can do a Quick fix, i would get it fixed the right way if it should start leaking a 2nd time

Watch this video, i know that it is not a Dodge pickup, but the basics are the same
i would not use the air tool to make the final fine adjustments, but that is just me, i would use a Breaker Bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=15zHpz6Zx8c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.