DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Looking for helpful ideas to raise tonneau straight up

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TheShortyRam 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else has built a system for being able to raise your tonneau cover straight up for 3 feet or more. I had built some panels for all four sides of my box and a makeshift top for it that I draped a tarp over, for some camping, but first thing I had to do was remove my tonneau and leave it at home. I was thinking to make some kind of scissor like lifts on each side (then figure out how to make both sides rise equally) I could then put my panels in place and just lower the tonneau back down a bit to rest on the panels. It would be a perfect roof for my little makeshift camper.

In google searches I have found a bit of info on a system thats no longer available..TopUp Campers I think it was, that was almost exactly what I was thinking of. I found a link to an installation of that system:http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0608st_ford_f350_top_up_series_tonneau_cover/install.html but wondered where to get those hydraulic cylinders and pump etc that came in the kit or would maybe use on of those little 12 volt tire pumps to push up air cylinders??

Making some scissor lifts out of a few pcs of metal is no big deal, I am stumped at the method of raising the scissors, I've thought of a threaded rod along the bottom slide rail that will push the rails up, but other than alternating sides and going up little by little, it might bind.

See less See more
#2 ·
hmm that is a good idea. I have no clue how to go about it efficiently.

Good luck!

#3 ·
http://www.silvershieldsystem.com/

This is a solid cover that is targeted at land surveyors, which I happen to be one. Our office never had one but we have another office that did. Its kind of nice since you can lift one side or both sides and have it come straight up about 2 or 3 feet like you want. You probably don't want one of these and as I recall, they are very pricey, but this might give you some ideas on how to make one. Its nice since you don't have to lift all four corners at the same time but can lift one side then the other or just lift the back like a regular hard cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.