DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1997 1500 Ram Sport... sick of (EXCEPT SPORT) on everything!

16K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  whitefang1 
#1 ·
I am trying to find a supplier for a Grill Gaurd for my 1997 Ram Sport. Every single one I look at says (EXCEPT SPORT)... or 99-01 Sport only.

Does anyone know a brand that makes one that fits the 97 SPORT??!?!

I can't beleive I have had to go as far as beggin for info on a forum for this! Any help would be appriciated. Oh, and I am hoping for Black.

Anyone?

#2 ·
1994-1998 Sports had the same grill as a non-Sport. 1999 was the year the Sport had it's own grill. Anything that will work on a 1994-1998 truck will work on a Sport of that era.

#4 ·
1994-1998 Sports had the same grill as a non-Sport. 1999 was the year the Sport had it's own grill. Anything that will work on a 1994-1998 truck will work on a Sport of that era.
I actually called Westin, and I think they are pretty mainline, and they said, 'Sorry sir, we do not have one that will fit that model... :SHOCKED: I find that hard to believe... but that's what I was told.

I guess I need proof of this before I get a $700 hunk of metal shipped up to Canada...

#5 ·
Looks like TenneSST has a handle on it, but there's always the option of customizing it and fabbing something to fit. Sometimes a little creativity and spare material work just as well. Welcome to the forum, BTW, and good luck in finding what you're looking for! :)

- Cajun

#7 ·
Looks like TenneSST has a handle on it, but there's always the option of customizing it and fabbing something to fit. Sometimes a little creativity and spare material work just as well. Welcome to the forum, BTW, and good luck in finding what you're looking for! :)

- Cajun
Oh... Good point. There might not be a bolt-on Stick-n-go model, but one that I might be able to adapt. Nice idea!

And on the downside to this, I am having a hard time finding any 97's with the gaurd on it in internet pics...

G
#11 ·
I've heard about this before and when I was considering converting my '99 SLT to a Sport front end, I ran into the same problem.

Bottom line was I would have to notch a part of the lower fascia for any bull bar to fit.

#15 ·
Wermbang... Those pics help... kinda! Has me even more perplexed as to why the Grill Gaurd is exempt from the listings on the 'SPORT'. I don't really see any logical reason for the omission. I wish I could just get my hands on one, and dry fit it before I buy one. No one stock them up here, I find. I see my truck in back in the parking lot outside, so I will get some pictures this morning of it, and maybe get some insight from you guys... maybe even some ideas on sprucin it up a little.

#22 ·
I have a 98 Sport and have used parts mark except sports with out any problem. My front air dam is an example, it fit with no problems. They didn't change the sport body style until '99. The '94-'98 sports were just decals, painted bumpers, fogs and a little more hp. They had the same body's, grills and style bumpers as the standards.

#29 ·
I finally found a site that listed it properly...

# WST-40-0605 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD 1994-2001 or 1500 2WD 1999-2001 or 2500/3500 1994-2002, Sportsman Grille Guard. Available in Black Powdercoat finish.
1 - Excludes 1500 Sport models 99-01, 2500/3500 Sport models 99-02.

Every other site I have seen has said a general 'Not for Sport', whereas this site concures what you knowledgable fellas already told me. :)

#31 ·
Bahahahaaaa!!! I thought, 'Good job, Werm... you put the picture of my truck up in full size... good for you! I could done tha.... wait a tick... HE PAINTED MY BUMPER!!!'

Brilliant, Dewd! I was talkin to my wife about it, and she says 'Fire up your photoshop!'... I'm like... meh, I can visualize it... now I don't have to!

That actually looks pretty good!!!

#36 ·
Really like the painted bumper!
Did you spray that yourself or have it done somewhere?
The paint on my truck is horrible and I am really close to just going camo with multiple cans of spray paint!
Anything better than the fade on hood and different color fender that I replaced!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.