DODGE RAM FORUM banner

To lift or not to lift that is the question?

3K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  newfiebullet 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2012 ram 1500 outdoorsman crew cab, and now looking at the possibility of lifting or leveling it. I have been debating this for the last couple of weeks, I have read horror stories about the"death wobble" and my local dealer garage has stopped even installing the Mopar level due to wobble issues in 4 wheel drive. Also some what concerned about CV joint stress with a level kit but apparently a lift kit does not cause the wear. Any advise would be great or personal experiences and products that you own. Thanks.

#2 ·
To lift is the only answer!!!

I went through that same process when mine was brand spankin new! The wobble scared me so I went directly to a lift. Kinda wish I would have done a level just to do it in stages but it wouldnt been a waste of $$ in the long run.

Go ahead and grab a 6" lift as their barely taller than 4" lifts and only $100 more....

#11 ·
Agreed. Once I finally decided to do mine I couldnt be happier.. I installed my lift with around 5k miles on it. Still has under 10k. Couldnt be happier. For reviews, opinions, etc, look at the build thread.

#4 ·
I agree. Buy once, cry once. If you try to "settle" for a leveling kit, you will not be happy and just wind up buying a full lift kit anyway.

#5 ·
You have to find what fits your personal taste and budget.

I've had leveled trucs in the past and have not wanted to pursue it further. Many 4th Gen owners here have leveled trucks that look amazing!

I leveled truck done the correct way, sitting on some nice shoes with aggressive wraps look awesome! Also, a leveled truck with the right combo of wheels and tires will 'appear' lifted. Very few people thought my previous ride was leveled; pretty much all thought it was lifted.

Done properly, a leveled truck will not present issues.

The link below may help you --

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115394

For the most part, lifted trucks do not appeal to me as there's a very fine line between 'just right' and 'overkill' IMHO..... and I've seen FAR more of the latter. This is a very subjective field and is really dependent on the owner's preferences as there is nothing set in stone.

Good luck.

#6 ·
I know exactly what you mean about people thinking lifted when in fact only leveled. This picture of my truck shows well what im talking about. PERSONALLY when i look at this pic i think lifted, it looks good. Still want a 3" BL tho :p

#7 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, I was looking to achieve just a small lift as to put larger tires on. A leveling kit such as the listen 5100's seem to be the choice of many. I am still a little weary about the dealer not covering "damage" caused by a leveling kit or lift kit. Also has anyone tried the rough country level kit? There is someone local to me who does install them.

#8 ·
I'm torn as well, I purchased my 2013 last week and bought extended warranty, bumper to bumper for 7 yrs / 140,000kms.

After joining this forum and seeing the look of leveled Rams i'm convinced I need to give it a shot. I'm going to put on a 2" Front lift and if it causes vibration, well that sucks but i'm only out about $100 and an afternoon of my time doing the install.

I just don't want to cause issues and have my warranty voided which I paid for!

#14 · (Edited)
if you really just wanna level go for bilstiens at 1.7 (max for trx i think)..and toss on a 1.25 or 1.5" body lift...i have my bills maxed with the 1.25 for a 4" lift but i get the wobble in 4wd....now im throwing a 6" on top of that but im dropping my bills back to 2.1 for a total of about 9.25" of lift on paper.me like other have worked up the ladder...but i dont mind cause im still useing everything to this point..and dont talk to fast you'll be broke in no time hahaha...the man who doest like lifted trucks had his at 11" of lift lol

#18 ·
You are traveling down a dangerous road here, it can only lead to the end result....LIFT IT! I put on a level kit and 285's for a couple years, but I couldn't take it anymore and just put on a 6 inch and 35's. Should have done it from day one. It rides better than a level kit and looks great. Just admit it, you need to get a lift :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.