DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Front End Squeak - Replacing It All

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blownengine 
#1 ·
Hey guys, its been a long time since I have posted here. I spent most of my time on car audio forums like SMD now.
Anyway schools out now so over summer im looking to do alot of work repairing my truck.

Its a 2003 Ram 1500 Sport with 111,000 miles and it has developed a squeak in the front end. It squeaks every time I hit a bump or turn the wheel.

I got this truck from my Dad so chances are all of the bushings and joints are very old (Even original) So Im thinking about just replacing everything in the front suspension while Im at it because everything looks pretty worked.

Im open to any recomendations on parts or brands. I would like to stay away from any Autozone brands (aka Duralast). Had some bad luck with them and would rather not put alot of money into worthless parts.

So here is a list, corrrect me if something is missing or wrong.
- Shocks
- Coils
-Upper arm (joints and bushings)
- Lower arm (Joints and bushings)

I replaced the sway are links and bushings last week so they are good.

When I search I find alot of upper arms that are already assembled with the bushings and joints pressed in and I feel like this is the easiest and cheapest way to go.
But I cannot find any lower arm kits like this. Only separate joints and bushings. Everything is rusted to hell obviously so I think it would be hard to re use everything.
Can anyone find or know of pre made lower arm kits too?

Sorry for ranting, I tried to space it out and make it easy to read.
Can you guys help me find reliable parts for this job?

Thanks, Dan.

See less See more
#4 ·
i worked on a dakota last week that had lower control arm bushings that were horribly squeeking. in my opinion i would dissassemble the front end and then get just what is worn. changing whole arms is expensive, even if you can't install a bushing in the arm it is cheaper to buy and bring the arm to someone and have them install. the last thing you want to do is rig it up cause you don't have the proper tools.

#5 ·
Red, I was actually looking at Bilstein shocks. Good company and they are pretty cheap.

And although it would be cheaper to just replace the worn parts I would rather replace it all because EVERYTHING is worn. Haha. Its an old truck and it doens't make sense to me to only replace half of them and then be forced to do the rest in a year when it squeaks again.

So should I just take the arms out and them have a shop press in new joints and bushings? Or is that something I can do at home?

Also do I need to replace the coils? Im not certain but it seems like they have started to sag. The bump stop is less than an inch from the lower control arm, and that seems kinda close. (Although I dont know what it looked like new)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.