DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Smog Inspections

940 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Woody146 
#1 ·
It is time for my First Smog Inspection on my 2009 Dodge Ram w/ the HEMI, i have around 120,000 miles on it

I have been researching the Smog rules on Oil Catch Cans
EPA calls them a Blowby Oil Separator & Filter
in some States they are Legal

I just left a local Smog Station & without checking any Official information, they said that it was a Smog Modification & said that it would not pass the Visual Inspection

I checked California's Smog Exemptions at one time allowed some companies like Donaldson, ( a filter company ) to make Blowby Oil Separators for automotive internal combustion engines for DaimlerChrysler

I didn't find anything about allowing the BT, Moroso, DiabloSport, etc. on our newer gasoline powered engines
________________________________________________________-

If i could find a Smog Station that would give me a Pre-Check without charging me, i would like to get it done with & without the catch can installed.
I did keep the OEM hose, just in case they wanted me to take off the catch can hoses

I will be installing new OEM spark plugs, oil change, air cleaner filter, & getting the throttle body & intake properly cleaned by a ASE Certified shop, then i will be doing a road test for the heck of it

OBDII Driving cycle:

1.Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F (50°C) and within 11°F (6°C) of the ambient air temperature at startup.
Do not leave the key in prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2.Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, and - if closed loop is achieved- Fuel Trim.

3.Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph (88km/hr) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4.Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5.Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph (32km/hr). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6.Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph (88-96 km/hr). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7.Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8.Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Then drive it into the Smog/Emissions Test Station

See less See more
#3 ·
Some Smog Stations will do a Pre-Check, they run the Test in manual mode, for $32.95
A customer may request a Pre-Check if they believe that the vehicle may not pass the Official Test

I am thinking about having a Pre-Test done to see if there is a difference in pollutants between having & not having the Catch Can installed, ( called an Oil Separator & Filter by the EPA ). A Oil Catch Can made by Donaldson Filters is approved for use in older model vehicles, i think it was before 1990
I am just curious, & i have nothing better to do :)

#4 ·
I pulled the CC from my 09 so I could use it on my 14.
It's not much work at all to disconnect the lines of the CC and slip the OEM PCV line back on. After that,, if it's a BT CC, just one bolt to remove everything.
Removal of hoses is best done when the engine / hoses are warm.
Re-Installation is easy as the CC hoses are already cut/'formed',,,
If you are changing plugs,,, you're already 'where ya need to be' to do the CC,,,

#5 ·
I thought that i should follow up on this thread, so many are just left hanging with no final statement

I of course waited until the last day or two before getting my '09 HEMI smogged

I just pulled off the catch can hoses & tied them out of the way, then i put the OEM hose on the engine & took the Ram for a drive as mentioned above.

I pulled into a State of California Gold Emissions Station, filled out the forms & paid the bill

While i was doing that, i was watching the Technician through a window
I noticed that he was doing the Visual part of the inspection under the hood

I am thinking that he saw the catch can & dangling hoses & that i was about to FAIL the test
He closed the hood, made some entries into the Smog machine & walked into the office
He then said that i had Passed & then asked why the heck i had disconnected the OIL SEPARATOR & FILTER, (we call it a Catch Can), i didn't lie & told him my reasoning.

He then told me that it was a Legal Modification as far as he was concerned

IF it had not been a legal mod that i would have had to completely remove all the catch can parts, installed the OEM parts & then have a retest done for no extra charge

He also said that California vehicles built after the year 2,000, only have to pass the VISUAL testing, they don't put it up on the rollers & strap it down & run it through the gears :)

#7 ·
Good to know!!!! Guess they are looking for cai's? I still need a sticker making mine legal.

Stupid C.A.R.B. The price we pay to live in such a scenic state

#6 ·
He then told me that it was a Legal Modification as far as he was
He also said that California vehicles built after the year 2,000, only have to pass the VISUAL testing, they don't put it up on the rollers & strap it down & run it through the gears :)[/QUOTE]

My truck is an 03 and it has been put on the rollers with a sniffer up it's butt at EVERY smog test. I'd like to know who's right here?:thk:

Mad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.