DODGE RAM FORUM banner

instructions to enable front seat video in motion

25K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  rsg1963 
#1 ·
Found instructions how to enable video while in motion. It appears it's a starscan feature.
Now you can save $300 and not buy a "lock pick"

Front seat video enable/disable

Due to certain state regulations, a function for disabling the front seat video option has been incorporated into the vehicle as a running change. This function will enable or disable the radios ability to play video in the front seat. If enabled, the radio will only play video when the vehicle is in Park (Automatic Transmission) or when the parking brake is set and vehicle speed is zero (Manual Transmission). If disabled, the radio will NOT play video in the front seat in any operating mode.

Certain state laws mandate that the Front Seat Video feature, on vehicles so equipped, be disengaged prior to vehicle delivery.

Vehicles equipped with the Front Seat Video ‘My GIG’ feature (sales codes RER, REN, REU), and delivered to the following states, must have the Front Seat Video feature disengaged during the New Vehicle Prep process, using the StarSCAN tool:

Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Kansas
Michigan
New Mexico
Nevada
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Maryland
Utah
Wyoming

For vehicles affected, the vehicle Navigation User Manual will contain a special insert providing the customer with specific details regarding this action.

NOTE: Some early release vehicles may be delivered without the special Navigation User Manual insert. For these vehicles it will be necessary to make a copy of the attached form 81-170-07055A and include it with the existing vehicle’s Navigation User Manual to ensure that the customer is aware of any legal requirements that may apply.

Dealer instructions for front seat video enable/disable:

1. Connect the StarSCAN®.
2. From the Home Screen, enter “ECU View”.
3. Select “Radio”.
4. Select “Misc. Functions”.
5. Select “Enable/Disable Front Seat Video”.
6. Select “Enable” or “Disable” as desired.
7. Select finish to exit.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Unfortunately..this is a common misinterpretation..some states requires ALL front video diabled from the factory (no video even in park)..this is only an option to enable the video while parked or when the e brake is on. There is a "fake" mygig hack going around right now too, so watch for that..so far the only options for allowing video IN MOTION in the front are the in cable unlocker like allgig or lockpick.

This was the explanation I got from DC a couple years ago when I was looking at this option for my jeep with the mygig system.

#9 ·
There are some things that you just shouldn't do and this is one that goes to the head of the list.

I'll admit that I have also thought about it and how cool it would be but...

Ah There's the rub. I went on to think about how distracting it could be while actually driving down the road. I don't need to be watching that all important scene on the video when the light turns red or the big rig in front of me hits the brakes or the kid runs out into the street.

As they say your mileage may varry but I'm happy enough that it will play when I'm parked.

#21 ·
There are some things that you just shouldn't do and this is one that goes to the head of the list.

I'll admit that I have also thought about it and how cool it would be but...

Ah There's the rub. I went on to think about how distracting it could be while actually driving down the road. I don't need to be watching that all important scene on the video when the light turns red or the big rig in front of me hits the brakes or the kid runs out into the street.

As they say your mileage may varry but I'm happy enough that it will play when I'm parked.
I have this feature on my 3500 with my Alpine. DVD movies during long trips are awesome especially in the western states where the roads are long and straight. And if I can get a BJ while driving I sure as hell can occasionally look down at a movie while driving. I'm just sayin'.:smileup:

#11 ·
Just curious if this helps to enable Nav inputs while driving. I don't give a toot about watching vids, but on a road trip, the passenger could not scan nearby towns for near by fuel stations or search towns past the first screen. It would be nice to not have to pull off the freeway to search locations due to need to being in park to access all features in Nav. Thanks for any input.

#12 ·
TELL ME HAVE YOU GOT SOMETHING IN WRITING TO SHOW THAT THEY HAVE DONE THIS BECAUSE I HAVE THOUGH OF THIS ALREADY TO ASK THE DEALER TO DO THIS FOR ME BUT I HAVENT MADE A GOOD FRIEND WITH ANYONE AT THE DEALER BUT IT IS TRUE THEY DO HAVE THE OPTION. ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH RADIO AND THEY HAD TO ORDER A PART SO THEY GAVE HIS TRUCK AND HE WAS ABLE TO VIEW tHE DVD PLAYER IN MOTION BUT WHEN THEY FIXED HIS TRUCK THEY TURNED IT BACK OFF.

#17 ·
I have a lockpick that I used on an 08 Jeep Wrangler. Im not talking about the in motion disable that is standard Im talking about the disabling of the video system done at the dealership with their star scan machine that shuts off all video, regardless of being in park or not.

#18 ·
I have a lockpick that I used on an 08 Jeep Wrangler. Im not talking about the in motion disable that is standard Im talking about the disabling of the video system done at the dealership with their star scan machine that shuts off all video, regardless of being in park or not.
Ya, your in one of those silly states that doesnt let you have what you pay for. If you still have your pick from your jeep, you may wanna try it out of the ram, not sure on the buss speeds between the 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.