DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Key Fob

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PdPuNOme 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2003 Dodge 2500. It is the SLT model. Does anyone know whether this year and model came with key fobs to operate the locks remotely. I did not get any. I did not think anything of it until a conversation with a friend. The truck locks automatically when speed hits 15 so I think the remote mechanism is in place.

Any insight would be helpful.

#3 ·
I think that this is the answer to your question but not necessarily the answer to your problem. That problem is that the remote key fobs are a wee bit on the spendy side! I received only one with my RAM truck. I thought , "No problem, I'll just get one from the dealer". Yes you can get one thru the dealer BUT they are ~$92 each PLUS they charge $25 to program them! At the recommendation of the auto tech at my local WalMart, I found one on Ebay for <$15! They are easy to program but you must have at least one of the original fobs to do so.

If at all possible, you should attempt to get at least one fob from the person that sold you your Dodge RAM.

Of course, you can do without the remote (like us old timers did for many years) it's just a little inconvenient. Since you do have the auto-locking feature, I'm guessing that the auto-unlock feature is also available. You will have to disable that function (if it isn't already) or you will have to continually lock the other doors manually every time you get out of the truck. The instructions for enabling and/or disabling the locking functions are in the Owner's Manual. If that didn't come with your truck either you should be able to find that info here on the forum.

If you never lock your truck you're good to go.:smileup:
RipVan

#4 ·
the true way to find out is either get free build sheet direct from chrysler online or pull your cluster to see if the module is attached to the back of it. The myth of auto locking when moving or keyholes on doors I have found to be misleading from all the research i had done. power locks no matter with or without keyless entry will auto lock and the key holes found to be 50/50 at best whether they had it or not. myn has two keyholes and auto locks but has keyless entry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.