DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2004 Raam 1500 SLT Steering Wheel Question

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 ·
Would anyone know what year trucks the steering wheel with radio and cruise control buttons would fit my 2004 slt quad cab looking for a black one.

Would a Durango fit the ram trucks? What years if possible?

My steering wheel has heat dry cracks from sitting in the heat, location is 12 o'clock and feels like sand paper when I drive it.

Is there a way to fix it?
I do not want a cover or anything like that just an original steering wheel.
Would there or is there anything that someone fixed theirs with a filler or something?

If someone has one cheap let me know

thanks

thanks

#3 ·
I know you said you don't want a cover but have you seen the Wheelskins sew-on leather cover? It's nothing like most of the aftermarket covers out there. Actual lace-up/sew-on installation. Looks and feels great. Almost OEM if you really take your time. For $40...it's worth looking into.

#4 ·
Thanks for the year info on what fits.

Yes I watched the youtube video on installing one. It would leave lumps/bumps where it crosses over the cross bars. Think I will try for the OEM again mine is still ok just the crummy rough feeling right where you hold the wheel while driving.

thanks for the info

#6 ·
I did a quick search and cannot seem to find the actual wheel itself on any of the OEM parts sites. I would just call the dealer and ask them. Surely they can find something as identifiable as the steering wheel, lol. Ask them the price also because my guess is that it will make you cringe.

Out of curiosity, is your stock wheel black? I certainly am not saying there aren't any but every early 3rd gen Ram I have seen with dark interior has actually been a very dark charcoal color but not black.

And lastly, have you seen the Grant Revolution Series OEM replacement wheels? They are pricey but it wouldn't surprise me if it still isn't cheaper than a new wheel from the dealer. The only issue I see is that it appears to only come in dark gray. Hence my question about whether or not your's is black.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-64036/overview/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply to my post.

I would like to stick to the stock oem wheel and hope to find one cheap. I can still live with what I have. I guess its a common problem with the dodge wheel at the 12:00 oclock position for the wheel to dry crack. From sitting in the sun too long.

I would say my interior looks black to me but it might be called dark slate. I know there is a gray color not even close to my black dark slate.

I do have time to keep looking.

I'm going to try and fix myself by sanding with 300-400 fine sandpaper then fill with some clear coat then sand again and another clear coat then sandpaper. Just going to try the affected area and see what happens.
Not going to do the complete wheel.

Its the only thing I can think of to use clear coat to fill and sand, might help might not.

There are to many conflicting people/sites/ebay that say this year will fit and up to this year will work. I have tried the net to see and also search for a part# for the wheel so maybe I could tell what year would fit.

thanks

Attachments

#8 ·
Update on steering wheel.

My wheel is leather not the rubber one but I'm sure this will work on that also.

I went out to truck last night and sanded the rough area with 320 wet sandpaper doing it dry. About 10 inch area in size is where the rough area is 12:00 o'clock. It sanded pretty smooth like it was never there. I wiped it down clean and then with a brush painted the area with clear coat that's used for body work. The reason for painting it on was to fill the cracks paint it into the cracks. I did this 2 times sanded the first coat then painted the 2nd coat then sand.
I then sanded the 2nd coat nice and smooth. Then I masked off the area so I would not get over spray and then sprayed the last coat on the wheel a few times to get a good smooth coat.

Have to say it came out great can't even feel the area any more no sand paper feeling.

If anyone has this problem just try this method after fixing you will be surprised and happy as I am. Now I am not going to spend $100 or more for a new or used wheel.
I did read that a lot of people have this problem and most sold on ebay state of the worn rough area at 12:00 o'clock area.

Good luck with the fix if you all try

#9 ·
Very creative and gutsy of you to try something out of the box. Glad it worked out for you. Rep points for that.

#10 ·
Thanks for the kudos it did do the job real well. Its been like that for a few years because it sits in the sun more than driven 2004 with 80k miles I bought it 5 years ago with 40k so say 5 k a year but this past April I had to do an emergency trip to las vagas and did over 6k from Boston to LV and Back in 8 days.

thanks

#11 ·
I'm right there with ya. My 04 is about to trip 83K.

#12 ·
I hope to keep mine as long as possible I did have a 2001 that I traded in with 90 k to get this one. I have a fisher plow on mine for the past 4 years and all has been great plows great no problems. If something goes I will get another Dodge ram I kinda like them.

good luck with your ram and mileage

#13 ·
As much as I love mine, I already have eyes for a 4th gen. It will be a while though...probably at least a couple of years. Ol' Silver isn't going anywhere until then though.

Thanks and good luck to you as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.