DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Sun Visor falls down on 2002 Ram

33K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  One2 
#1 ·
The drivers side sun visor on my '02 1500 4WD Ram will not stay up. This is the version with no mirror or light. It simply has the slot for putting a map or some minimal paper work....and it will extend when using in the side position.

Does this visor have an internal collet of smeomthing like that that I can adjust to make it tighter and stay up?? :4-dontknow:

Thanks,
JB in NC

#3 ·
I have the same exact truck with the same exact visors! My driver's side visor is very close to being at the point where it will not stay up at all. Right now it stays up most of the time, depending on it's exact position. As far as I know, unless you want to snug it up by putting tape around the snap-in part near the mirror, you would have to buy a complete new visor assembly. My truck has 98,000 miles, so I guess it deserves a little sagging. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Daniel

#8 ·
Sun Visor

I have a 2004 QuadCab. My passenger side visor was falling down.....it wouldn't stay up at all. I went to the dealer on Friday and had it replaced.....for a cost of $122!! The darn thing doesn't even match the original one. The new ones have some sort of plastic trim around the little bar that snaps into the support clip. The original is all cloth. Also, the seltbelt warning tag is slapped on near the top, close to the middle of the visor! This would be okay if I didn't have custom covers for these warning signs. The new visor looks really cheap and I'm upset that the warning sign is no longer at the bottom outside position. I paid a lot of money for those custom covers. I'm tempted to take it back to the dealer, have it removed, and get a refund......I had them put the old one in the backseat, but the mechanic put his greasy fingerprints on it......so I may be screwed. I'm just really unhappy with the whole experience. I usually get treated really well at the dealer, but this time really sucked. BTW, my dealer is Huffines Dodge in Plano, TX.

#6 ·
Isn't there usually a spring on the backside of the assembly that bolts to the roof that applies tension to the arm? I am not sure on the new trucks. I know on my older ones I would put washers behind the spring to apply more tension to keep them from dropping down on gravel roads.

#9 ·
I have the same problem with both visors...I have been thinking about it and living with it for a while. I just looked on LMC and the sell visors of course...but they had a not that suggested you "Bend the rod slightly to tighten the sun visor on the rod". I will be trying this! I can believe I did not think of this as it is how I fix door that are not level and open or close by themselves. Bend the hinge pin for added friction...wha-la. I will let you know the reults...when I actually get around to it.

#10 ·
I have the same problem with both visors...I have been thinking about it and living with it for a while. I just looked on LMC and the sell visors of course...but they had a not that suggested you "Bend the rod slightly to tighten the sun visor on the rod". I will be trying this! I can believe I did not think of this as it is how I fix door that are not level and open or close by themselves. Bend the hinge pin for added friction...wha-la. I will let you know the reults...when I actually get around to it.
It helped some but not enough to be the final solution...still going to replace them.

#16 ·
Someone else had the same problem, and now I do too, and he put velcro on the arm that goes into the visor part and then slipped the visor back toward the hinge. He says it works. That's what I plan on doing. I was going to try a big binder clip, but will do the self stick hidden velcro.

#20 ·
Ok, sorry, I'd been dealing my my 99 1/2 yo dad on the phone so I was a little "edgy" plus been reading that another poster had gone to the dealership and replaced his but it didn't matched and was a $122 cost, which to me is outrageous. Just offering a economical fix. I'll check out the cost around, but for now I'll try the velcro. I do A LOT of sewing, in fact I'm working on a wedding gown for my daughter and the flower girl dresses for the 3 little girls and all the other dresses. Sorry again if I was snippy. :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.