DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Taking on a Corvette with a Hemi Ram... any suggestions?

7K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  miketen07 
#1 ·
Short of just smacking him off the road when he passes me... or bolting on a .30 cal LMG...?

First lemme say this is sort of a joke race, 'cause we know that a 2,000+ lbs Corvette can effortlessly take a 7,000 lbs Ram QC Hemi. We just want to know by how much. The challenger is a C6 Corvette with a 6.0 V8.

The Ram is a totally stock 05 QC Hemi. It can achieve 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Various friends I know have suggested shifting down to "L", launching, take it up to 6,000 rpms, shifting to "2", taking that all the way up, and then shifting into "D" for optimal 0-60. Does anyone know if this method works? (provided I do it right.) Furthermore... will it hurt the vehicle's transmisson?

Lastly, I've also heard that if you're going about 40-50 mph, you can get much better acceleration if you down shift from "D" to "2" and floor it... than if you simply floored it in "D". Is this true?

Heh, lastly, would it be wrong for me to challenge the Corvette to a tug-of-war contest? Normally I'd never subject my Ram to truck pulls, but somethin's telling me I'd haul the Vette like it would beat me 0-60.

In case anyone is curious, based on previous drag races, for the record, stock vs. stock, The Ram Hemi QC beats the:
05 F150 5.4 V8 Quad (8.2 seconds)
04 Silverado QC 6.0L V8 (7.8 seconds)
07 Toyota Tundra Quad 5.7 V8 (barely) (7.4 seconds)
03 Ford Taurus (10 seconds)
07 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L (not EVO) (8.0 seconds)
2000 Ford Explorer 4-door v8 (10.5 seconds)
05 Honda Civic 4 door 1.7 I4 (8.0 seconds)

Beware, the stock Ram Hemi QC loses against:
06 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 (6.7 seconds) (they're not real full-size trucks at 5,000 lbs)
07 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L V8 400Hp (6.4 seconds) (DO NOT RACE)
07 Dodge HD Turbo Diesel 6.7L (6.? seconds) (eventually overtook him)
07 F150 Harley Davidson 5.4L Supercharged (6.5 seconds... it was Supercharged)
Soon-to-be 06 Corvette C6 6.0L V8 (?.? seconds)

See less See more
#2 ·
the 0-60 on the vette is 4.3 seconds by the way lol. You'd win the tug of war easily. Launching like that may hurt the transmission a little if it's a 4x4. I'd imagine it wouldn't just once. I'd hold the brake down, get the revs up a little (1500-2000ish) and then let off the brake and it should pull pretty hard.

#4 ·
Downshifting will help the acceleration, but getting off the line is the most important part. You need to know just the right amount of power to give it before GO so you don't sit and spin.

I have used the downshift method before with no tranny issued. Don't preload too much or it can hurt your trq con. I also would recommend shifting before 6000rpm.

Or, forget the race and just post a vid of you pulling the vette all around the lot. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#7 ·
Lol, he'll never go for it. He loves that Vette to death, and hell, I would too.

But it's actually a really great retort to someone with a fast sports car or sedan who challenges a Ram to a drag race. Just like a Corvette is made primarily for speed, a full-size truck is made primarily for towing. It just so happens the Ram can do both.

Thanks for the advice. So I'll probably be all right downshifting so long as I keep it under 6,000. Awesome. And, yeah, as to the launch, I can't see going over 2,000 with the brake down.

#5 ·
@98sst,

Yeah, I can imagine it's that fast. We're just doing it for the hell of it. By the way, the Ram is a 4X2, I should've mentioned that. I think I will try that method once to see what happens.

Do you know anything about the other method, of downshifting from "D" to "2" for better acceleration while goin 45?

Thanks!

@Chithead. Yeah, I raced that Titan a year ago, and I was surprised that it beat me. The two lists are cars I've personally won against, and lost against with various friends and others at school. Their 0-60 numbers are based on what they've told me, and from my POV in the Ram those numbers seem to be right. By the way, the Lancer was the only one who eventually overtook me, at around 100+ mph.

#6 ·
Well when you put it in 2, your truck will only use 1st and 2nd gear. if your going 45, I would have it in "2" and just go from there. Im positive that is out of range for 1st gear at that speed. When you top out 2nd (My 2nd tops at about 75-80, not sure about yours) then put it into "D".

Basically, the launch method that I suggested gets the drivetrain prepared for the launch. By doing so, your engine can start closer to it's peak torque and horsepower. Try doing this with your ESP off, it might take practice seeing as you have a hemi.

What kind of tires do you have? Stock? Also be aware of the conditions. If it's wet, I can tell you from experience, the Corvette will be jerking like HELL due to its traction system. all 400 horses will just want to kick it out in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear.

So yeah, practice that launch and see how it works.

#8 ·
Stock tires (unfortunately). But if it's any consolation, his tires are pretty worn down (he's got an affinity for burning out... a lot).

I know my first gear (when launching) goes all the way up to 5500-6000 rpms at 45 mph before shifting to second, but I don't know whay the speed is when it shifts from 2 to 3.

Sorry if this is redundant, but it really doesn't hurt the transmission all that much to shift through gears manually in an auto... without a clutch? Wow. Thanks for the advice.

#11 ·
Ok lets see here..... In addition to my Ram I also have a 2005 300C. Both are stock and the "C" is WAY faster than my Ram for obvious reasons (like 1400 lbs for starters.) Just so happens my brother has a 2001 Corvette Z06, which is 15 hp LESS than the C6 corvette you are going to race.... and my bro's Corvette will walk away from my 300C. Your race is pointless, the only think you MIGHT accomplish is breaking your truck. And what would that prove?

#15 ·
:i_rolleyes: Well... Thaaaannnnkkkk yoooouuu for your so insightful diatribe. No really. Thank you! Having NEVER ever ever seen a corvette, why here I thought a corvette was just a golf cart with a gas engine instead of a electric motor. No no no no no, no lemme call my friend up and tell him the race is off because "kevin" thinks it's pointless.
:i_rolleyes:

A few months ago, my friend just spent a good deal of time and money getting a slightly used C6 Corvette. He's very happy about it, and is now finally getting around to really trying it out. I want to see what the corvette can do. Why not find out while racing with my own car?

We all know I'm about to lose. We all want to see what 4.0-4.5 0-60 looks like. Furthermore, my Ram, is not Your Ram. My fuel, is not your fuel. The rubber on my tires, is not yours either. Why should you feel it's worthy to share your feeling that this is pointless? We're just having some fun. Back. Off.

#13 ·
One thing that i have noticed with my Ram, if I start in first gear & shift to second, there is seemingly a lot of lag time between the shifts. If i start in 2nd & shift manually into 3rd, there is very little lag between shifts.
I believe that i have also read that the '09 & possibly older transmissions of the same type, will shift from 2nd into higher gears by itself, even if you leave the the selector in the 2nd gear position, it won't let you over rev it. i'm not about to test it out though

#17 ·
Well. I lost. Heh, what a shock. But it was fun, and that C6 was awesome. I launched in "2" at about 2,000 rpms, and reached 73 mph before I changed to "D".

The corvette is incredible, but I think I love my Ram more. The Vette says 'speed'. The Ram says 'raw power'.

By the way, he chickened out of a truck pull contest. At least the Ram Hemi was tough enough and good enough to accept a challenge from a Vette.

Thanks for all the advice. I actually learned a LOT about what that hemi was capable of when shifting.

#18 ·
haha great thread man! I like how you put the other guy in his place! I agree with you totally your truck do what you want!

As long as your having fun thats all that matters to me!

Thats cool man, too bad he didnt go for the pulling contest you would have showed him!

#20 ·
Yeah, absolutely. I don't know where you'd even hook the tow strap to the Corvette... Needless to say the result wouldn't be pretty.

That guy's post just irked me for some reason. Normally, I don't race different class vehicles like sport sedans, coupes, muscle cars... Unless I really believe they have crappy engines. But this race was an exception. We just wanted to see what would happen. If he can't accept that, then why should he waste his time commenting with... literally... A pointless comment?

#19 ·
well stock my truck will beat a titan, a v6 camaro, a 350z and older body stangs.... then again i have new hemi quad....

Suggestion, remove unecessary weight. I even bought a set of 17's to use when I race. (never used em yet)

#26 ·
@98sst, yeah no kidding. I just never knew I could do that. Thanks again, dude.

Actually, I'm in college. And he's about 29, and had scrimped and saved and worked to get his dream ride. Heh, I should mention that before the Vette, he had the Ford Taurus I took on and beat. So, having been whipped by a 7,000 lbs full size truck in that little car, he was very hell-bent on revenge. I forgot to mention that one to "kevin." It's only fair I gave him a race.

Before that Vette, the best car I've ever raced was the Cad Esc back when I was 18. That was a high school senior's mother's car.

Lol, 'cause he's a good friend, I let him go this time. Should he ever try to pass, he's gonna wind up smacking into a turnpike barier.

#31 ·
My buddy has 07 cadillac escalade with 6.0 v8. He has exhaust and intake on his caddy I have 2 wheel drive qc with diablo, intake and exhaust with stock 3.92 gears and i took him for about 3-4 trucks....We also raced on highway 65-105 and I took him by a lot...5-6 trucks...So I dont think those caddys run 6.4 second 0-60 Maybe but they are not that quick....Raced silverado ss with my truck with same mods as caddy he only took me by about truck lenght...

#32 ·
I haven't raced the caddy but i raced my friends 06 chevy silverado with the 5.3 and that was easy. He has an HpTuners tune and i have intake/open exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.