DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2008 Dodge Ram Hemi

816 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Canadian Hemi Pride 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new to this forum, but did purchase my first Hemi last year. I bought a 2008 Ram 1500 4x4 for a personal vehicle, I have owned many Cummins in my life also (used for work at the shop).
I love my 2008. Its loaded with sun-roof, leather, just a blast to drive. It was used with 85K miles on it, but in really nice shape.
My question is this:
When I bought the truck it already had a Magnaflow exhaust installed, and bigger wheels and tires. I took the wheels off for the winter but I believe they were 35's with 20" rims. I believe the previous owner might of also did a tune on it. I think that because even on the best of days, with the factory highway 20 wheels on it, it will max out at 11 MPG doing 65 on the highway driving like little miss Daisy.. It does seem to run better than the 2 other Hemis that we have here at the shop also. I am thinking the previous owner might have used a tuner on it to make up for the bigger wheels, and to benefit from the exhaust also. I do not think fuel mileage was the previous owners primary concern.
I am not familiar with tuners, and do not know if there is a way to get back the factory tune as a baseline starting point again. I am worried that if I purchase a tuner I might have a problem with if my truck is currently using a different one. I would like to be able to switch between an economy tune for long distance driving, and a more performance tune for the local driving.
Any input? I am more concerned with the mileage part of this problem than anything else though. I have done some research and have concluded that 11 mpg with the factory wheels is a bit low (and I mean it is driving really easy on the highway). I am just trying to get a couple more MPG's..

Any input would be appreciated..
Mark

See less See more
#5 ·
An actually "performance chip" is junk to use and more of a money grab with no real benefit to the truck.

A performance tuner (diablo sport, bullydog, superchips being the big brands) are the best way to go and actually show proven benefits over just installing a chip.

If you think there is a tune loaded up.. There is the flash option, but I believe you could ask your shop to hook up to your computer and check if it running stock or a modified tune installed. If there is a tune, then the flash would be a good choice.

#3 ·
I kinda doubt someone would just leave the tune on the vehicle because whatever programmer they used to tune it would be useless to them now. Once a tune is loaded to the truck it swaps the performance tune for the stock tune and will basically be locked up after that. But if you still want to try to have it flashed with the most current, up to date factory tune, the dealership will do it for about $100. But I would recommend a programmer for the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.