DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Please Help A Lady Out.

3K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  PaulMys 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been lurking the board (and loving it) for about the last yr waiting patiently until I paid my 2007 Caliber off to start shopping for a RAM truck..

The day has come and I have a truck picked out at my dealership. It's a 2012 RAM Express regular cab.. It's obviously tough to find a 2012 with the build you would want. Basically all that's out there here in Wisconsin for 2012 regular cabs is a model that MSRP'S at 30,585. Problem is, it doesn't have the options I would normally have built.. Things I would want that it doesn't have are - Pwr & Remote Entry Group - Manual Rear Sliding Window -Spray In Bedliner - 3.92 Axle Ratio.

The truck I'm looking at and dealing on only has Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle and Class IV Receiver Hitch that I would order and want.. Options the truck has that I don't need or want are - ST Popular Equipment Group ($750) and the Chrome Clads for (400)

We are at the wheeling and dealing stage and mostly by phone.. I first started at the dealership where I purchased my caliber.. The MSRP of the 2012 is 30,585 I put on offer in online for 20,500 lol.. I knew I was offering way under what they could do especially just starting out dealing.. well I get an email back saying they could do 24, 500 - i laughed like they did at my original offer.. long story short I dealed with them and got the price down to 22,000. Not really liking their attitude and my buying experience with them and my first go around with the caliber purchase was the usual BS a noob like me could expect and I was taken for a ride with my sub-prime credit rating. at least that 6 yr 410 dollar a month nightmare is over.

Not liking their attitude I call another dealership and I get a great sales guy off the bat... long story short at this dealership is.. I used my dads employee discount card and with that the trucks e,employee discount price was 26,937 and their is also a 3,000 dealership incentive.. now the problem is we're still at around 24,000 and the other dealership could do 22,000 and I didn't even use the employee discount card. My sales guy without talking to the manager said he should have no problem beating that price, so cool. last night he said he thinks there is room to move 500 to 1000 below the other dealerships price of 22,000.

So now we're talking around 21,000 for the 30,585 MSRP price truck.. Do you y'all think I did ok dealing and coming to a price.. have to remember this is not a truck I would order but one I could live with for some time if the price is to good to pass up..

Now I got a brainy idea after reading the 2013 forum section on here late last night.. Lets build the 2013 truck the way I'd want it and see what the price would be.. Well it comes out to Invoice price of 29,838 and MSRP price of 32,275. My price with employee discount I believe would be like 3 or 5% under invoice and then w/e rebates and such there is would come off that..

I've rambled long enough and here is where I could really use all yours help and opinions..

Do I go option Number one and take the truck I could live with if they can go down to around 21,000.. I don't mind the color (mineral gray) but it would be probably my 3rd choice.. I would also have to trade my caliber in. 2007 with 78,000 miles.. just a basic model.. no power windows or cruise. does have ac and cd player lol.. I can't imagine they give me much more than 4,000 trade in.

Or do I build my own at the price I mentioned above.. use the employee discount, rebates, and sell my car privately?

option #2 will cost more but, will be a yr newer (I'm not tooo big on 1st yr models or makeovers but, my caliber was in 2007 and its been great) Option 2 would have all the options I would want and none I don't which is nice I guess and might help resale or when it would come time to trade in.. being a regular cab my truck will need all the help it can get for resell..

That's it guys and gals.. I would love and would much appreciate all thoughts/opinions.. I will keep you updated and if I do purchase option #1 truck I will have pictures on Thursday to share..

Have a great day!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would go with the truck that will make you happy. As long as it is not stretching you too far with the payment.
Getting a good price on a truck is nice, but finding the truck you love is even better. IMHO.

I guess you asked the dealers if they could find you a 2012 anywhere with the options you want, to see if they could transfer it in?

#5 ·
Thanks much for your input, 32!

I test drove the truck last night and enjoyed the ride and all and I think I could definitely live with it for a few years especially if you guys think the price of 21,000 if I can get it for that is to good to pass up. On the other hand I'm torn because I could have the exact 2013 build truck I would want for about guessing 3 grand more and it would be a yr newer.

Price kinda matters to me as I like getting the best deal and with my credit still not up to par mostly because of an ex-leaching boyfriend I was stupid enough to keep around for the last 6 yrs.

I've been looking around at every dealership and calling within 100 miles of Milwaukee and there is really nothing out there in a 2012 express regular cab that has all the important things to me.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to anybody else's before I have to pull the trigger in the next day or so one way or another.

#4 ·
Sounds like you have done your homework and did a good job negotiating to me. I think the price you got on the 2012 is probably a pretty good one. My biggest question now is how much could you realistically be in the 2013 for? I guess the biggest factor there is what rebates and incentives are available. It more or less comes down to how much is the difference between the truck you like and could live with and the truck that's exactly what you want. Of course, the price and payment is a factor for most of us but you should also think about the fact that you will likely be living with this truck for several years. Do you want to like it or love it, lol? I wouldn't worry too much about the 2013 being the first year of the model. It was really more of a mild refresh than a total redesign. Good luck and keep us updated as to what you decide.

#7 · (Edited)
its been like 12 months of homework and I;m ready for it to end lol. invoice on the built to my liking 2013 was about 29,500 and 32,400 MSRP.. I should be able to get 3-5% under invoice price with my fathers employee discount. Then like you said w/e rebates and such there would be which I really don't know what's going to be available. I'm thinking a 2013 would be roughly 3,000-3,500 more than the 2012 in the end.. But, lol, I could sell my caliber privately instead of trading it in for pennies and make some of that difference in price up... Ugh I keep going round and round lol.

I plan to run the truck until it dies or until I would need a quad cab.. Yeah I'm not too worried about the 2013 refresh as it would pretty much all be under warranty for the first few yrs and I had really great luck with my first yr caliber. I'm going to miss my caliber lol.

I will definitely keep you guys updated over the next couple days and I really appreciate all the great input so far!

#8 ·
long after the feel good part of the price goes away, you still have to live with the truck without the options you want. sounds to me like you should be able to step up a model or two, bighorn or outdoorsman and get between 9 or 10 grand off,a 2012 model, with negotiating, then use your employee discount and get a 35000.00 dollar truck for around 24000.00. the more expensive the sticker price is, the more room to play with the price. i would pass on the first truck and be patient and get one that you makes feel good for years to come. i have an 11 and still smile when i get in it.

#10 · (Edited)
I have thought and was even going to go your way of thinking but, even what's left of the step up 2012 models around the Milwaukee area are pretty picked over and its hard to find anything under 37,000 MSRP. even with the 5000 rebate and employee pricing it's out of my price range for again another truck that wouldn't be exactly how I would build it.

If I do go ahead tomorrow I think I'm now lol - Leaning more towards option one if they will give me the truck for 21,000.. That's almost 10 grand off the 30,585 MSRP price and that seems pretty good for a low end model truck. It does have the most important feature I wanted and that's the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle... I can live another couple yrs without power windows, i've done it for 6 already lol. Color is Mineral gray and I'm pretty fond of that color but not my #1 choice but close. 3.92 axle would be nice but can do just fine with the stock 3.55.

I could drive it for a couple yrs and then maybe sell/ trade it and look at the 2014 or 15's.. I shouldn't be upside down in the loan especially if I stick extra money to the loan when I have it.

If they low-ball me on my trade in do you guys think I have some power to have them throw in a bed-liner or maybe tint the windows some to lol. Maybe a couple three or four hundred dollars in free oil changes to lol :33:

Thanks again everybody for all the help and keep the thoughts coming if you want!

#9 ·
Options are great ..... But its up to you at what you want in the truck ....

Plus if you go there in cash, and this all that I have ..... They will work with you ( that what I have done and had remarkable results )

Plus waiting a bit also wouldnt hurt and you might get a better deal ....

#11 ·
My advice, woman to woman, is to not spend too much time caught up in dollars and go with the one that is everything you want. I went to buy a new silverado and while waiting for them to bring it around my eyes caught sight of my Ram and I took it home that night. It was almost 8 grand more than I was going to spend on the Chevy but Im so glad i did. I've had it almost a year and I catch myself stealing glances all the time. Take your time and get what you really want. You'll regret it if you dont.

#12 ·
Sorry to take so long to return a message to your post.. I'm at work and can only get online for a short time on breaks.

Funny you mention the Silverado as I was also looking at them this past april as they had some great deals on 2013's with the crew cab. Now I'm back to dodge which is fine by me as I've always liked them a lot. I would catch myself looking at your truck too... I love that blue color you have and that is a big boy truck you have there! That would be too much truck and money for me ATM but in a couple yrs I would love to trade my 2012 reg cab in if I buy one for a bigger club or quad cab once I get my credit and money saved up to absorb the extra sticker price.

Thanks for your post and thoughts.. And keeep on loving your big and beautiful Dodge!

#13 · (Edited)
To anybody that can help me with a few things I'd greatly appreciate..

Is there a cutoff date that you know of to order the 2013 model? I've never ordered a vehicle before.. when do you deal on price for the truck.. is it before you order or after its delivered?

The 2013 I built on NADA comes out to- $32,275 MSRP and $29,838 invoice price.. If I'm not mistaken my employee price should be around 3-5% under invoice and then we can start dealing from there.. being a 2013 I'm not sure how much dealing they'll do until later in the yr? I would also get any rebates/incentives knocked off. The only thing about a 2013 right now is I don't think they're really offering any real incentives or rebates ATM on just a reg cab express that I know of.. Think I seen like 1500 cash allowance and must take delivery by 06/03/2013 which is basically nothing and how I read it that is going to run until early june.

One more question if you or anybody else could help me with would be awesome.

My sales guy told me there was a 5000 rebate on the 2012's so that is the reason I got excited yesterday and made sure I made it out there last night right before they closed to test drive it in case I wanted it and didn't want to lose the big 5000 rebate if it expired May 1st.

Soooo, I get out there around 8:50 ten mins before closing and meet with the sales manager and get an appraisal on my caliber that he said he could do... I arrive and get great news - sigh.. First now he says we can't do the appraisal and.... my sales guy was wrong.. its 5,000 on a crew cab/etc and only 3,000 on the regular cab.. and instead of calling it a rebate it was now changed to dealer cash or maybe he called it incentive someting... one of the two..

Will the dealer get reimbursed some from dodge for the employee pricing.. and will they reimburse them the 3000 dealer cash or incentive? If so I can use that as bargaining that they're not really going to lose on the truck even if I do get them to agree to around 19,000-19,500?

anyways, I've test driven the 2012 Ram before and knew I liked the ride/etc.. so I pretty much wasted my time driving 30 mins out there when I had to be up at around 4:30 this morning for work... I work two jobs and I'm gone from 5:30 am until 8pm. So wasn't to happy with this news and my test drive just confirmed that I enjoy the ride.

Thanks again y'all... you been a huge help and I'll keep you updated tonight and tomorrow on what goes down. Keep the comments and thoughts coming if you would like though.. I'll be researching other stuff online so I'll be around for a while after I get off of work and home around 9pm.

Thanks y'all again for all the help today it was a huge help indeed. I'll be online after I get home from work doing another search for trucks.. but this time down by my dad in the Indy/Kokomo area so I'll be on pretty late tonight so I'll be able to get back to you all faster who reply to me.

#15 ·
Thanks, hunterg.. I'll probably end up just doing that unless they wow me away and I get the 2012 for 19,000-19,500. staying patient should also get me some better rebates or incentives as we get later in the 2013 yr I would think? not a lot out there now it seems especially since I won't qualify for the special finance rates ATM.

#17 ·
first off I think the '12 deal that you found is the way I would go IF....

The dealer couldn't take a look around and locate you a truck that is more in line with what you're looking for. If you get a good dealer/ salesman they'll go out of their way to find you exactly what you're looking for and wanting. This is how I found both my wife's Challenger and the Charger that we just got last week.

What they'll usually do is trade something from their own lot for the something that you want from somewhere else. This has a few advantages..... 1)You get exactly what you want, or at least closer than what's on the lot 2)There isn't the 8 weeks (or more) waiting time that you'll get when you order one.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you get the new truck

Exco

#22 · (Edited)
The description says it's 4x4.

And is it actually a long bed? The one pictured in the link you posted is LB. Do you need or want a LB for some reason? To each his or her own but unless you need a LB or are just in love with the look if it, I would stay away from it.

Also, I see it's got the 4.7L. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, they are great engines. Just curious how much it would cost to step up to the Hemi. I know a couple of years ago it was about an $800 option on a new truck. More than worth it if you ask me. I think there for a little while there was even a "free Hemi upgrade" promo on new trucks but I'm sure that was short-lived.

#23 ·
no long bed.. and if you go under options on the link to the truck i'm looking at.. it has the hemi 5.7.. 4.7 is good like you said but I wouldn't get the truck unles it had the Hemi.

hmmm..down to 16,800 with my trade... they're starting to get annoyed with me lol. saying they're losing money on the truck lol... yeah ok, sure you're.

My dad is getting a challenger srt8... grrr lol... I would kill for a challenger with the just the hemi in it lol.

#24 ·
I gotcha. I was paying too much attention to the truck that was pictured. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. But then again, you could potentially sell your car yourself and get a little more out of it to offset the difference of ordering the truck you want. So it still comes back to personal desire and happiness vs. what's best for you financially. I know that doesn't help you much with your decision but that's what I'm seeing.

#25 ·
Thanks much for the help star... its all greatly appreciated!

I'm going through 2 dealerships at one time now lol... original dealership is giving me 5,700 trade on the caliber. 2nd dealership is doing 6,000 unseen.. both dealerships can go no lower than 22,800. So basically now it comes to who can offer the best interest rate..

I;ll keep ya all updated... pretty soon they just might give me the truck for free so I leave lol. getting a little sick of my wheeling and dealing but this is kinda fun lol. its so crappy outside so what better to do than work the dealers lol.

#26 ·
Reminds me of a buddy of mine. Back when he was active military he had a line on a dealership that gave 5% discount to service men and women. He negotiated a deal on a brand new 2005 quad cab 4x4 Hemi Ram and got what he felt was their bottom dollar and THEN pulled out his military ID, lol. Needless to say he said they weren't extremely happy. He got a super deal though.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the help! closed the deal!

MSRP on truck was 30,535. employee discount is pretty useless on a 2012 model.. 2013 model different story. 2012's are hard to find right now.. trust me, I've looked my arse off from wi to indiana all of April.. They're few and far between and are either out of my price range at the moment or they are pretty much the 30,535 MSRP's like mine.

Final numbers.

they came down to $22,000.. so about 8,500 off MSRP of 30,545 which I think is fair for both. Where they "blew" me away was with my trade-in. They gave me 6,000 for my very very basic 2007 dodge caliber and kelly blue book was 5,400.. I think their trade-in offer was at least a grand more than I expected so in reality I got the truck for closer to 21,000.

I would have had a hard time selling it for 6k private and then I'd have had to deal with all the Craig's list BS and tire kickers.. Plus my work schedule barely leaves me enough time to get 6 hrs sleep. I work from 6am-8pm 5 days a week and 6 hrs on saturday so I get one day to myself.. last thing I want to do on that day is show my car lol.

It does have the Hemi 5.7 or I would never even be looking at or bought the Truck. Will I get sick of not having a backseat? for sure but, for now it's only me and my Chocolate Lab, Trigger so we'll be fine for a coupe yrs until I save some money up and trade it in on something more practical and take better use of my Fathers employees pricing.

They topped the tank off and also threw in free oil changes every 5,000 miles or 3 years with full synthetic oil.

On a scale of 1-10 just in my 20 mile drive in to work tonight I lovee the Truck off the scale.

On a scale of 1-10 on how I feel about the deal I got, I would rate it close to a 9 all things considered in the position where I'm at now.

Thanks again to all that helped me out through this it was truly a big big help.. when I get home I'll post some pictures of the truck if its still light out or else I'll do it first thing in the AM after I wash it lol... damn rained tonight :(

#33 ·
Thanks guys for all the help! closed the deal!

MSRP on truck was 30,535. employee discount is pretty useless on a 2012 model.. 2013 model different story. 2012's are hard to find right now.. trust me, I've looked my arse off from wi to indiana all of April.. They're few and far between and are either out of my price range at the moment or they are pretty much the 30,535 MSRP's like mine.

Final numbers.

they came down to $22,000.. so about 8,500 off MSRP of 30,545 which I think is fair for both. Where they "blew" me away was with my trade-in. They gave me 6,000 for my very very basic 2007 dodge caliber and kelly blue book was 5,400.. I think their trade-in offer was at least a grand more than I expected so in reality I got the truck for closer to 21,000.

I would have had a hard time selling it for 6k private and then I'd have had to deal with all the Craig's list BS and tire kickers.. Plus my work schedule barely leaves me enough time to get 6 hrs sleep. I work from 6am-8pm 5 days a week and 6 hrs on saturday so I get one day to myself.. last thing I want to do on that day is show my car lol.

It does have the Hemi 5.7 or I would never even be looking at or bought the Truck. Will I get sick of not having a backseat? for sure but, for now it's only me and my Chocolate Lab, Trigger so we'll be fine for a coupe yrs until I save some money up and trade it in on something more practical and take better use of my Fathers employees pricing.

They topped the tank off and also threw in free oil changes every 5,000 miles or 3 years with full synthetic oil.

On a scale of 1-10 just in my 20 mile drive in to work tonight I lovee the Truck off the scale.

On a scale of 1-10 on how I feel about the deal I got, I would rate it close to a 9 all things considered in the position where I'm at now.

Thanks again to all that helped me out through this it was truly a big big help.. when I get home I'll post some pictures of the truck if its still light out or else I'll do it first thing in the AM after I wash it lol... damn rained tonight :(
Excellent! You did well, good luck with the ntruck and enjoy.

#28 ·
That's awesome! Congrats and welcome to the club!!! Definitely waiting on those pics. Show us Trigger too. There's a bunch of dog lovers around the forumz.

#31 ·
Congrats and welcome to the club!

I'm glad that you were able to work out a deal that you felt good about. Sometimes all that it takes is a lot of patience.

Looking forward to the pics

Exco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.