DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ready for some mods

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  superstock 
#1 ·
ive had my new to me 05 ram daytona go mango truck it has the 5.7 hemi in it love the truck alot :smileup: ive been looking through my summit and jegs books been seeing alot of aftermarket stuff like peformance chips that will give you better gas milage plus faster performance cold air intakes headers etc etc the only thing that i would realy like to get from my truck would be able to get it to tow my gtx to the track on the weekends it already has a resse frame hitch out back i been told that this truck can not and shouldnt be put under that kind of stress so its almost makes me think that maybe i should of gotten a 2500 instead:4-dontknow::4-dontknow: but i realy love the daytona i know that between here and the track there are a few hills the wonderfull state of missouri is full of them then my state arkansas is full of twist annd turns so theres my driving course lol:gy:theres been a few kids at work with LS whatevers lol comaros and a few furds stangs that i wouldnt mind blowing them away with this truck i know for my gtx that would be easy pickins but cant realy drive that to work lol so if anybody here can see what i would like from my new addition to my mopar fleet i just would like performance upgrades with some towing little bit of gas milage (if possiable)

#4 ·
Any ideas how I should go about getting this accomplished if its even possible to do it cause if it's not then I don't want to throw a bunch of parts at it and not and not be able to do what I want it to do was hoping that someone has been there done that with there Daytona and could share what they had to do to there's

#5 ·
All I have to my Daytona is put a volant CIA with the ram air hood scoop attachment on mine and the 1 ton tranny cooler and airlift airbags. I have towed a 33ft travel trailer(6900lbs dry weight) and my bike (600lbs) from here to Kentucky a couple times up and down the mountains. Yeah it gets bogged down on the larger hills but for the most part it down fine. I put a tranny temp gauge on my outbound line to keep a close eye in my tranny temp when it's under load. I have only had to stop a few times to let the tranny cool on the really big hills. You should look to see what your rear diff gear ratio is before towing something really heavy. My ratio is 3.92. I'm not for sure if that's all the daytonas or not tho.

#7 ·
You will be fine with just stock if you don't have 3.92 gears. I will tell you that you will need to wire up a brake controller for anything above 1500lbs and have electric or hydraulic brakes on your trailer or else you will be replacing rotors and pads fairly quickly. The 1500lbs is what dodge says is the max weight without trailer brakes. The airbags I put on mine was to prevent trailer dive with such a heavy load. It's one of the optional things, it made a huge difference in the towing tho. There's something that I'm going to prolly switch my bags out for and it's roadmasters active suspension because there's really nothing that could go wrong with it unlike airbags which can have leaks and even have bags pop on me. But the minimum to get it on the road without hurting anything is a a class 3 or above and a brake controller. I noticed a big jump in my throttle response and acceleration with the volant CAI with that ram air.

#8 · (Edited)
whats the volant cai that your talking about ill probably go with electric brakes with a controller up front the roadmaster suspension ill check with that maybe do a google on it see what the cost is would it be worth the investment to get a power chip plus cold air intake i have a frame hitch on it now gotta run outside and see what the class is just got in and i looked around it and crawled under to see any stampings for what classification dont see anything on there how could i tell what to look for

#9 ·
It's the volant 36157 cold air intake kit. The roadmasters suspension can be found at activesuspension.com to find out your reciever class you have to measure the length and height of the the square hole on the hitch. If it is 2inches by 2 inches you have a class 3 or 4 hitch. Anything smaller is a class 1 or 2. As far as the power chip I can't answer that because I haven't used one yet. In theory from what I have read about power chips you could probably get any where from 20 to 80 horse power gain if not more depending on what setting you have it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.