DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Glovebox lock?

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  mids 
#1 ·
I started the install of the locking glovebox latch, and followed the instructions provided in the box.
I installed the barrel into the latch by lining up the slot, then, I turned the key counter-clockwise and heard the click. The locking action felt fairly smooth.

I then tried a little test, to see if the lock was properly keyed to the key, or just free spinning. In doing so, I discovered that the lock can be both locked and unlocked as simply as sticking a fingernail into the keyhole and twisting.

Is that how it is supposed to work? I thought the idea of a lock, was to attempt to keep anyone without the key out.

#5 ·
Keying? They did not mention anything about keying.

I was told "align, pop the tumbler in, turn key counter-clockwise until I hear a click, and install on door". I verified this, by reading the enclosed instructional page. Keying was not mentioned there either.

#7 ·
There is no mention of a "correct tumbler" on the instruction sheet that I have.

#8 ·
Ok, I see that there was an addendum sheet that should have been attached. It has info about keying on it. I did not receive that sheet in my box.

Is there a way to pull the tumbler back out of the latch?

#10 ·
I started the install of the locking glovebox latch, and followed the instructions provided in the box.
I installed the barrel into the latch by lining up the slot, then, I turned the key counter-clockwise and heard the click. The locking action felt fairly smooth.

I then tried a little test, to see if the lock was properly keyed to the key, or just free spinning. In doing so, I discovered that the lock can be both locked and unlocked as simply as sticking a fingernail into the keyhole and twisting.

Is that how it is supposed to work? I thought the idea of a lock, was to attempt to keep anyone without the key out.

I bought the same kit. The last page of the instructions say the lock must be keyed before installation. My dealer wanted $104.00 to key the lock. I went to a locksmith and got it done for $20.00.

Here is the link to the instructions:

https://mopar.chromedata.com/RichContent/CDJR/K6860723.pdf

#11 ·
It is not some kind of special lock
if you can't make it work correctly, go to a good locksmith
there has to be a release that allows the lock to come back out

#12 ·
That last page, was completely missing from my instruction set.
At first, I thought the lock became keyed similar to those locks that you just enter your own key into.
Thank you for straightening it out for me, I will be discussing this with my dealer.

#15 ·
I'd like to see a photo of the installed lock, too. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#18 ·
The wife has been busy for the past few days, sorry about no photos. It looks identical to mrolows pic.

I will elaborate on the install.
The actual install took all of 3 minutes. There are 4 torx screws that hold the whole works together. Remove them, the old latch comes right out the outside of the door. After keying, position the new latch, and install the 4 torx screws.

I did not have a torx driver on hand, so the wife and I took a trip to Home Depot. While she was driving out of he lot, I pulled the old latch out, and put the new one in. Before she finished driving down the parking aisle, I had finished the swap.

If you obtain thekit, and it comes with the internals, check to make sure that the keying was done. Mine came with internals, that worked with just about anything that could turn the keyhole.

#19 ·
To the OP. I went back to the beginning of the thread and didn't see a Mopar part number or price. Any more info? Also, should the keying be included in the price of the lock? I realize yours wasn't and you had to get it done after the fact. I like the ability to lock my glove box so when I run it through the car wash I can throw my things in it rather than carrying them around with me.

#20 ·
Here is the kit I bought. Part# 82211490.
http://www.mopar.com/part/82211490

Paid $20.00 including tax. Just about full MSRP. Parts discounts seem to be very rare around here, unless it is part of an initial vehicle sale.

The dealer was unsure, as to wether or not they were supposed to charge for keying. In my case, they did not charge, nor were they aware of the keying requirement in the first place.

The dealership did tell me, that I was the first person to order one of these kits from them, that came to them in this specific configuration. It is a small town / low volume dealership, so it is possible that the part configuration had changed since the last one of these they sold.

#22 ·
Yes, it is keyed to the RAMs physical key(s), and does not have anything with the electronic key fob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.