DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Metallic "tinking" or "clicking" sound underneath

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RamTech06 
#1 ·
Hello All, hope you can give me some insight.

I've owned a '94 and a 2004 Ram, (both red) and I remember replacing almost all the sensors on my '94. BTW the '94 I sold at 197k and the 318 V8 was still strong!

When I start my 2004 Ram (from cold--I live in Minnesota), within 30 seconds I get this metallic 'click' or 'tink' sound. There is no problem starting the truck (yet). It's like when a vehicle is really hot, say on a hot summers' day, when the (exhaust?) is trying to cool down, you'll hear that metallic click until it cools off. This just keeps going while I'm driving and does it every 4-5 seconds. It's driving me crazy.
I will get it fixed, but when it comes to women in the garage, well, you know what can happen. I've had to fix my own vehicles for years (used to be a road musician) and I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track here.

Can anyone chime in? :smiley_thumbs_up:

I wonder if it's the exhaust sensor.

-Red Ram Girl

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Red,
I think, what you're listening to, is the directional flow actuator... defrost, floor, etc... our 06, just after you start it, does the same thing, hot or cold.
The first time I heard it I thought... OKAY, what fell off! But honestly, I think this is what you're listening to.

#3 ·
metallic sound underneath

Hi cerres,
Thank you so much for responding. Does your 06 continue to click as you're driving, and then continue once you've parked until it perhaps "cools down"?

Did you have to get that actuator fixed? If so, do you recall the ballpark amount it cost you?

Thanks again,
Red Ram Girl

#4 · (Edited)
BUMP on an old thread but my 2006 is doing exactly this!!!
Anyone have any further feedback?
Exact symptoms, while driving, sitting still, after the truck is shut off, etc, every 6-8 seconds while running and driving, weird and kind of annoying.

It is definitely NOT the directional flow actuator, as stated above, that is for sure...

Anyone have any ideas??

#5 ·
Maybe...

Not entirely sure /where/ you're saying the noise is coming from-- have you lifted the hood to try and pinpoint a location?

If it's at the front of the engine as you're looking at it from the front bumper (and this is just from my experience with a phantom click), it may be the water pump.

Maybe a timing chain clack or something of the like.
Or maybe a lifter tick?? (though that sound would come more from either side of the engine, along the cylinders)

Not saying this with any certainty, just throwing out suggestions derived from my own experiences.
(The 'going bad' water pump 'tap' was from my '06 hemi, and we're pretty sure that the click on my '02 4.7L is either a timing chain clack or a lifter tick...)

Hope this might help you figure out the right direction to try, RamTech06.

Good luck, and here's to many more Dodge miles!

#6 ·
Thx for the reply, and NO its none of the above.
The sound comes from the rear of the motor say right under the front seats. It sounds like the exhaust when hot is settling, but wierd it does it while driving and does it while the truck is off, for a while before it stops. So can;t be water pump, etc as said sound happens when the truck is off like it is "settling".
Very strange.... :4-dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.