• Others

Votes: 154 50.3%

What gas companies do you use?

21K views 116 replies 104 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 · (Edited)
What gas companies do you use?

Please if you say "others" , list it

#3 ·
Chevron primarily unless I am on the road and can't find one, then I go Union 76. My truck won't run on anything but premium as I have the 91 Octane DS Predator programmer on my truck.

I used Chevron almost exclusively in my '95 ImpalaSS and had NO fuel system or injector problems over 140K miles.

#7 ·
shell or BP....if on a road trip, the closest one right before i run out of gas :LOL:

Reactions: Big R
#8 ·
All Exxon here, no fuel injector problems on several vehicles running that, and, if I'm on the road, Chevron is my next choice. :smileup:

- Cajun

#12 ·
I use primarily Chevron.

This topic comes up periodically, either brand, octane, or both. I'll quoteing a message I posted last time that I think is helpful if anyone is interested.

As for the octane issue, my understanding is that there is no need to run a higher octane than what is needed by your engine/tune etc. The higher octane usually has more addatives to improve the anti-knock (read as anti-preignition) properties. Because of these addatives it is actually likely that there is a slighty (although generally unnoticable) reduction in fuel economy. The advantage is that this gasoline can be used in an engine that is running hotter (as race tuned engines typically do) without the heat causing preignition. The result is that a vehichle that requires 87 usually see's no benifit from 89, or 93, or whatever because they arent opperating at a high enough temp for it to matter. Having said that, if randy says the ECM in the hemi compesates for 89 octane (ostensable increaseing output to take advantage of the higher octane gas?) I would belive it. He is very knowedgable about such things.

The question of brand is a whole different ball of wax and reappears periodically. The truth of the matter is that brand, like octane, almost always boils down to addatives. The gasoline at all your local stations is likely received from the same regional pump station or distributer. Some major cities have more than one, but the principle is the same. In reality the gasoline at all the stations is the same (or at least of unknown quaility). The difference between what you get at each stations is what addatives are added before the tanker rolls out of the distribution center. This is where there are some significant difference. The addative I am talking about here are all essentially detergents. These help prevent engine "sludge", etc., that we have all heard so much about from commercially. While this detergent actually reduced milage as well, it is again my such a negligable amount that it's not worth worrying about. This detergent issue is actually important enough that a group of large auto manucaturers have banded together to publish a list of "Top Tier" gasoline retailers based on the quailty of their detergents. I won't rehash all the requirements but you can read them and get a list of top tier retailers at this link:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

For my money the best addative is Techron (based on reviews I've read) produced by Chevron. Chevron also sells this addative to Texaco and Shell. You will see Techron advertised by Chevron (and now Texaco as they were purchased by Chevron) on their signs and in their commercials, but not by Shell. The reason for this is that Chevron sells the detergent to Shell but does not license them to use the name. This used to be the case with Texaco as well until Chevron purchased them.

The other consideration in terms of station is how well the company will stand behind their product if there is a problem. I got some bad gas at a loves truck stop south of toledo about a month ago that must have had some water in it. The result was that I ended up having to walk back up I-75 to the station at 3:00am and got nothing but the run around from them. I ended up buying two bottles of dry gas and catching a ride back to the truck. I poured the dry gas in and the problem corrected itself immediately. I've heard of other who had similar problem with gas from big name fuel companies, the difference was that they were immediately taken care of. Now I don't usually fill up at this type of station, but at 3am in the middle of northern ohio you don't always get much selection.

This turned into more of a novel than I intended but I hope it helps some folks out.

#14 ·
Costco is my norm. Usually .05 to .10 less than anywhere else. Unfortunately they only have 87 and 93 octane.

#15 ·
shell bp or mobil whatever cheaper or i just go to nj where is dirt cheap

#68 ·
x2. I use Shell almost exclusively because 1. of reading about the top tier fuels thing.
2. it is right around the corner from my house
3. Shell/Pennzoil is partnered with Dodge in NASCAR - I also use Pennzoil Ultra oil in both my Mopars

After that it would be BP because I get 5% back on fuel purchases from them. Then I guess after all I have read in this thread - Chevron. Although, I might start using Chevron more if they really are the best with their Techron additive

#20 ·
I use Phillips or Quik Trip. I prefer Phillips gasoline and quik trip has amazing soda fountains. lol so when I travel I keep an eye out for em.

#22 ·
Shell Premium. Has not ethanol which equals more BTU which equals better mileage....and it's noticeable. :smileup:

#23 ·
I live on Vancouver Island in Beautiful British Columbia Canada, we only have one refinery close by and they supply all the gas for all the Stations and Brands on the Island. Chevron, Shell, Esso, Petro Canada, etc all have there own tank farms and put in the own additives at the farms. The gas plant is owned by Shell Oil so the gas is their basic product with the farious Oil companies own additives put in. I personally buy my gas from Co-op here on the island and know they get there gas from the Shell tank farm up island.

#37 ·
FYI that's exactly how gasoline works nationwide in the US, the unwashed masses have been convinced that choosing one brand over another makes a difference...

what makes the difference is the age of the in ground tanks, i generally change stations when i see new tanks going in i tend to go there till i find a place with newer tanks

just a quick side note, i have been pretty on top of buying BP gasoline because the retailers have been hurting since the spill in the GOM... all their stores are privately owned, and all gas within an area is generally refined at the same place as stated above

#25 ·
we have a local chain called Quick Trip. they have been around since i was a kid and they are the walmart of Quick stop stores. they cary "top tier?" gas. but more than that the price at every store is the same and you know what to expect. if im on the road i will try to use a shell or sinclair station

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.