DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I need help!!! Multiple misfires and backfiring.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ramvan2500 
#1 ·
Well here's the deal. I have a 2002 ram 1500 with the 5.9 360. The transmission went out so I had the whole thing rebuilt. Literally the whole thing, not just the rebuild kit. I have a 6 monto warranty and Ive been feeling some jerking in overdrive, usually on the highway. Before I take it back on warranty I wanted to do a tune up so they cant put the problem on something else mechanical.

Yesterday I changed the plugs( bosche platinum) cap and rotor. I start it up and crazy vibration and misfire. I check all the wire ends and verify they are snapped in. Good there, still misfiring. Driving at like 25 mph and backfiring like crazy. ( I currently don't have a cat on it but never had problems till now.) engine light comes on so I check it and I get misfire multiple, misfire in 3 and 7. So I change the wires in 3 and 7. Still misfires. Change the plugs again in 3 and 7. Same. I double check the firing order on the cap. It's correct. So I put the old cap back on. Lose the vibrations but still misfiring now in 2 3,7. What could be going on? I'm so pisses and confused. It wasnt acting nearly this bad before the tune up.

Any suggestions??? Thanks

#2 ·
Well you might not have put the wireset on properly. Their is a special layout of the wires to prevent cross fire and misfire lol... It's from a old chrysler TSB for the magnum engines. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98.htm

It doesn't cover your year but try doing it anyways first. Oh I also recommend you use copper bosch plugs instead of platnium because one is Gap and two, platnium isn't going to do better then copper with performance, only thing is you won't have to change the platnium every 12K miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.