DODGE RAM FORUM banner

True Dual exhaust is it worth it?

26K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hotrob 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9L 2wd and one of the things on the truck that nees replacement is the exhaut. ITs rusted and has like 3 holes in the pipes.

I have 2 flowmaster 3" to 3" mufflers that were on a charger srt8 that are brand new and wanted to use these and do true dual exhaust (meaning no h or y pipe just one pipe out of each side.

I also am getting PACESETTER CC LT headers and plan on custom fabing the rest with 3" pipe dumping out right before the pass rear tire.

I going for performance and looks, but my question is what are the pros and cons of true duals on this engine? I had duals on my charger with longtubes and it was mean sounding lol.

Also is i am planing on putting on the FI grip intake mani and big mouth TB, MSD dist w/wires and swaping all pulleys to underdrive. I know you loose torque with larger pipes but gain HP on the top end. just looking at options

thanks in advance

steven

See less See more
#2 ·
well one concern with true duals is o2 sensors. with the stock setup, your o2 sensor is reading exhaust from both sides of the engine. Yes, you could pipe it so that just the passenger side is running off the single o2 sensor, and drivers side without a sensor. it may throw a code and cause issues with the computer, but it may not, don't know for sure. that's an issue I could forsee though.

another potential red flag is the gas tank, it won't allow for duals, with your drivers side running straight back. if you wanted true, you'd have to match it along the passenger side piping and once past the gas tank, pipe to your desired location.

that's just my thought(s). it sure would sound good, don't take me as a nay sayer. I'd love to see it done and hear the results!

#3 ·
My 02 Ram came with true duals(Bought it used) one side runs the o2 with no codes thrown. both pipes run down the passenger channel till its past the fuel tank. Sounds awesome but one side has been really hashed together with short pipe runs so this summer I'm gonna swap some new in there

#6 ·
could do what I was thinking. equal length pipes for both banks. to avoid the gas tank you could run the pipe under the frame rail and tuck it between the frame rail and the rockers and then dump it out before the rear tires. could also throw in a H pipe before you split off and go oudside the frame rails.

#8 ·
3 inch true duals would be hard to justify on a stock engine. before I sold mine, it was a basically stock internal with a handful of minor bolt ons and I ran a single 3 inch straight pipe. it was obnoxiously loud inside and outside the vheicle, and definitely let the engine exhale too easily in my eyes. a muffler would change that up but your going to need a big muffler for both sides, and some performance parts inside before I would look at 3 inch true duals.

again, just my two cents with a hint of experience sprinkled on top.

#9 ·
i have a 2014 ram 1500 st 5.7 i really want headers and cats routed to the outside of the framerales on both sides with a duall oval exhauste tip exiting right before the rear tire on both sides and i want it to work as well as look cool.....any suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.