DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Acid etching and road paint.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ScatPak07 
#1 ·
I have some issues compounding on the front bumper of my truck. About 6 months back my wife and I both drove through a cload of white road paint on the florida turnpike. The result was white speckling all over the front of both vehicles. Almost all the paint came off her's with a claybar but it had been recently waxed. My poor truck on the other hand has been stuck with it. Clay bar twice now since the incident and I still have most of the speckles, including some on the windshield that drive me batty. I'm gunna try a razer on the glass but obvious that's not an option on the paint. What to do guys, I'm at a loss.

On top of that I picked up a bunch of bugs a while back and had been too busy to do a proper wash until today. Some of the bug splaters left etch marks on the front bumper from the acid in the bug goo.

Ugh!

The acid marks are on the front bumper only but the paint is on the bumper, the grill, the hood, and the windshield.

I need some options here. I'm also starting to pick up knicks in the bumper, ostensibly from road debris, that are turning into pinhead sized rust spots. I'll probably eventually just have to have the front bumper repainted but I'm trying to prolong the time until then.

See less See more
#2 ·
Surprised the clay bar didn't do the trick with the paint. I do agree with the razor blade on the windshield, I have done that before with good result. Not sure what to tell you on the bug residue, it's permanently etched in my Jeep as a result of my not cleaning it up like I should have which is why I have gotten more OCD over the years and clean them off daily. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my bumper as far as the road debris and the multiple small rust spots. For that I think I'm going to go to the dealer and get some trim paint because I really don't want to have to replace the bumper.

- Cajun

#3 ·
Yeah, like I said, the claybar and a little elbow grease cleaned up my wifes car really nice, but not so on the truck. It sat longer before I got to it, and the wax was not as fresh so I'm sure it had a better surface to bond too. I'm seeing some info online about using a cutting polish to remove bug etching but I'm leary of this as I've not dont it before. Of course that might also be a potential solution to my paint issue.

#4 ·
almost every state, county, & city have not used oil based paint for road stripping in about 6 years or more, sorry to say, you should have had it in a car wash the same day.
water based traffic paint almost always comes right off it is attended to before it sets up.
Also the dept. that put it down, would have covered the costs involved if you had registered a complaint.
that being said Florida is very strange, blue haired people, chads, etc

#5 ·
Yeah, the problem was that it was at 3am and I was moving from Homestead to gainesville, and we had to leave within 2 days to get to Michigan in order to make it by christmas. We didn't even notice the paint speckles on my wifes car until we were back in michigan. My Ram sat like that for ever a month before I had a chance to attend to it.

#6 ·
Wow that sat for a long time before the cleaning. I would recommend using a polish or something along those lines. You can get a mild abrasive polish that will get the paint out and giving your paint some depth.

Take a look at Chemical Guys products. They have a product called Virtuabond 408 and it cleans up the paint on your vehicle. Take a look on their site I swear by them now. I have been recently buying their products and I love em, they work very well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.