DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Question about headunit upgrade

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  erm 
#1 ·
Just want to start off by saying hello to everyone. This is my first post in the forums. I recently purchased a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and i love it! My truck is currently equipped with the Media Center 130 (RES). I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to one of the nicer headunits such as the Media Center 430 or 730?? If so what would be needed for install. Sorry if this is a newbie question. Thanks in advance!!

Wesley

#2 ·
Hey welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about car audio, but I believe you will need a wiring harness to connect your new head unit to your truck. You will also need a dash kit so the new head unit fits correctly. If you have steering wheel controls and wish to keep them functional you will need a harness for that. You will also need a new antenna. That's about all I can think of for now, but I am sure that someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon and answer all of your questions.

#5 ·
no i do not have navigation. The headunit I was really interested in is the Media Center 430 which doesn't have navigation either. Im assuming that if I did want navigation i would need a separate antenna for the navigation! I was also looking into finding an after market headunit. Something with a touchscreen but there aren't many that fit without modification.

G
#6 ·
ahh...you are correct. No, this should be pretty much plug and play then.

After market requires some adapters to work with the vehicles CanBus harness and to be compatible with your existing amp (if you have one) and steering wheel controls (if you have them).
Also, isn't the unit you have now a double DIN size? If so, any DD head unit will fit.

It's adapting aftermarket head units to existing stock harnesses that poses the challenge. But, PacAudio has that covered nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.