DODGE RAM FORUM banner

drivers Quad Cab door doesn't open

14K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  D.A. 
#1 ·
My drivers rear Quad Cab door doesn't open. It appears the top latch is working, but the bottom one is sticking. The previous owner said her husband used to have the "trick" for opening it, but he has since passed away. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I gave that a whirl and it still didn't budge. I also tried spraying some PB Blaster on the lock mechanism through the crack in the door, but that didn't help either.

If I take off that door panel will it give me access to the lock? Maybe one of the rod's broke or something?

G
#4 ·
Yes, you can gain access to the door opening mechanism through the inner panel. But I suspect the previous owner didn't do that every time he needed to open the door. I still suspect the latch / catch is binding.

Maybe it needs to be lifted up on while you pull the latch.

Man, this stuff drives me nuts...LOL...I'm sure you are goin' crazy too.

#5 ·
You're probably right, LOL

Believe me, I've tugged and pulled on it every possible way, even with another guy helping me. Its not moving.

How difficult is the panel removal with the door closed? At least then I could check to make sure its getting the rod movement.

#6 ·
Well after letting the PB Blaster soak for a while I went and tried it again. I gave it a good 10-15 hard tugs and it finally burst open.

Inspecting the latch, it looks ok. In fact, the passenger side looks worse (and it works perfect) I took a wire brush to it, and also sprayed some silicon lubricant on it. After I shut it, it was the same way. I had to give it a good 5-10 hard pulls. Even after opening the door 5 times, its the same way. I don't see whats causing it to bind up. Pretty frustrating, but at least I know it does open if I need it.

#7 ·
Huh! Mine too!

Hey harofreak ... it must be sumthin' in the air:Wow1: cuz my 2001 drivers' rear door isn't opening either! Exact same symtoms ... top latch seems OK but bottom latch not releasing. Any chance of digging this guy up and grilling him for some help? Maybe a seance is in order.:doh:. Please lemme know if you come across an answer. Thx ... Billy

#10 ·
I had a problem like this on an old truck of mine, I had to replace the latch because over time shutting my driver door just banged on the latch of the back door that it went bad. that might be why your passenger door works fine, it does not get used as much.

G
#11 ·
hmmm...looking at the catch, I suspect the door is out of alignment forwards and is binding on the catch. This might be a body shop job to re-align the door and they might suggest a latch replacement at the same time.

#12 ·
I had an old '76 Dodge Royal Monaco when I was in high school (well it wasn't so old then). The rear door would not open when I bought it from the inside. I took off the door panels and just cleaned up the linkage and oiled it. It has spend many o years driving on gravel roads and the dust had gummed up the linkage and mechanisms enough that they wouldn't work. After a good cleaning and oiling they worked like new.
Did it see a lot of gravel?

#13 ·
I have an opposite problem. The LH rear 1/2 door bottom latch does not close at all. Only the upper latch closes and holds both doors closed...:158:
I tried to move the latch mechanism with my finger, and it seems it has a spring broken or sth, because there is no resistance in either way...
Can anyone recommend an online store to look for a new one? So far I have had no luck. The only latch offered is the hood latch. The same thing with ebay...

#17 ·
I just went through this today with my 98 quad cab. Drivers side lower latch not working. It was popped, but wouldnt open. Tore the interior door panel off and took the rod off the lower latch. The thinger that the rod goes to wouldnt move at all. After tugging on it and rip-snortin tryin to get it open, I just gave it the boot and it popped open. Latch is froze like a lake in winter. Now the latch needs replaced. Anyone who replaced their latches, where did you get them from and what was the cost on them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.