DODGE RAM FORUM banner

vibes in 4x4 after bilstein 5100 install

15K views 80 replies 27 participants last post by  BigHorn 4 Life 
#1 ·
does anyone have a definite answer to this? i have mine set at the 2.1 setting and everything is fine in 2wd but today i tryed it out in 4x4 and sure enough i have the vibration which reallllllly sucks so iv checked the cv axles and they dont seem to be on a very bad angle at all but i also havnt had my alignment done yett so do you think that it would be better if i get my alignment done which im doin on thursday when my truck goes in for service!!!! plz any help is apreciated as iv already tryed to search but couldnt find a very good answer!!!

#2 ·
anyone?????????

#4 ·
ya im getting a alignment on thursday

#6 ·
That was always my biggest fear when leveling my truck. Good luck with the alignment!

#7 ·
I would also think the alignment would remedy the problem you're having. Any small camber could be causing the vibrations.

#8 ·
thanks for the replies guys and i think im gonna go down one notch first because she is a little higher in the front and once thats done im gonna get the alignment

#11 ·
i havnt got the alignment done yett im gonna drop er down to the next notch and get it as soon as possible after that

#15 ·
i donno whats different about mine then because with mine set at 2.1 it was higher in the front but now that iv lowered it down to 1.7 it sits alot nicer now and the alignment is done but havnt checked the 4x4 vibe

#16 ·
Well i tryed the 4x4 tonight and i still got the vibration

#18 ·
mines almost like a little wobble but i dont know if it goes away or not cuz i couldnt really go very fast as i was just on my street where i live but im gonna maybe try on dirt when i can get a chance

#21 ·
Do you have the 4 Auto position on your 4x4 dial?

It seems anyone with the 4 Auto configuration has the vibration - at least that's what I'm reading. Those without the 4 Auto don't seem to be affected.

Not sure what difference in geometry there would be between the two, but if the Auto functionality has something to do with the front axle rather than the only the transfer case, then that might explain why.

#24 ·
Really? mine has the auto 4wd option on the selector, whoops haha, no going back now lol. Guess i should just use the 4wd lock option and skip right over the 4wd auto option

#23 ·
Whoa, if that's true...

I'm really glad I have the "manual" ( 4 wheel lock ) button and NOT the "4 wheel auto" !
( Never heard that one before.)

It does seem like there would be SOMETHING in common with those trucks having a vibration issue and those NOT having it after leveling.

#26 ·
So are you saying you HAVE lifted your "4 wd auto" truck and have NO vibration ?

( The 4wd AUTO trucks have a different transaxle/torque on demand system, which might explain the different behavior of lifted trucks. )
Yeah i have a zone 6", bilstein 5100 and 37" tires, no problems here

#33 · (Edited)
:doh:
only the transfer case is different, Both systems are regular part time "4WD"
The front differential and CV shafts are ALL the exact same part#'s for both.

Its a simple electronic activated clutch inside the optional transfer case that engages the front drive shaft when rear wheel slip is detected when you're in 4WD Auto mode.

You Do realize the Rams with the optional 4WD Auto still have 4WD Lock (4Hi) right?
if the front differential was a totally different awd trans axle set up like an AWD car, then you would not still have a 4WD Lock option for the transfer case

The trucks with 4WD Auto "option" operate identical to the NVG 246 Transfecase without the 4WD Auto setting when using 4Hi/4Lo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.