DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Chrome question

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  CdnoilRAM 
#1 ·
Ok so my '05 quad cab has the chrome molding around the wheel wells as well as the chrome kick panel for rock chips. Besides not being a big lover of chrome I always figure this is just a good place for rust to start. The wheel well molding is an easy romoval. BUt the panels are glued on I'm sure. Anyone know how I can get them off and remove any residue without ruining my paint?

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure they aren't glued but rather are hel on by 3M two sided tape. It's a fari amount of work to remove them and you'll need a good adhesive remove to take off the residue. Bushwhacker sells several types of flares that aren't chrome and look good on the DR series Rams.

#3 ·
Thanks, if it ever stops raining here I'll give it a try and see if they come off easy. Wish I could afford Bushwhacker flares. I love the cutout style. But you know what they say po folks have po ways. Right now my mods have to be cheap or free.

G
#8 ·
Well, it won't be as easy as simple thin molding but it can be done. It's gonna require you do it in stages, from the top down, with some adhesive remover and some heat. If you can leave the truck out in the hot sun for a few hours, it will help a lot.

Start at the top, separate the chrome cladding from the body with some fishing line or a plastic spackling tool with a rag behind it, then squirt some adhesive remover into the gap. Let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes, separate it some more and keep going.

After you get it off, remove the rest of the residue (I hope this is the gray sticky tape and not the black stuff!!!) with more adhesive remover, then give it a good wax and polish. You might end up with some small scratches so before you wax and polish, use a light buffing compound to remove them.

Oh, are you gonna have fun with this, buddy... :LOL:

#9 ·
Ya michael has you covered!! :) Everything he let you no will be your best chance of getting it off...i pulled my door moulding off and i must say letting it sit in the sun really makes a big difference!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.