DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Paint Protective Film Evaluation

899 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sask hunter 
#1 ·
After reading some posts here about the protective films for paint, I decided to do some checking on the products in person, locally.

According to the Xpel dealer here, Xpel is the low end of the market. He said the Avery Dennison is the top end stuff now. Easy to maintain and hard to scratch.

So, I had him give me a quote. Putting it on 24" of hood, upper bumper area, rocker panels, and behind the rear wheels came to about $750.00.

This product has a lifetime (so the dealer said) paint warranty. However, if something happens to the film requiring it to be replaced, there is no warranty and the owner would have to pay to have it replaced.

Now for the eval, the guy put a 6" circle on my hood. In bright sunlight while standing in front of it and looking directly at it, it was very difficult to see. When looking from an angle it was obvious. When the sun was not shinning directly on it (shade) it was also obvious.

Bottom line, the only (non-ugly) option for my black truck would be to put it on the full hood and fenders for about $1k. Not going to happen. I just can't see putting it on and who knows how far down the road having to replace it due to wear and tear.

It might be fine for some of the other colors, but it definitely won't work on black in my estimation.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was thinking of doing the same thing in my truck, which is also black. When I have seen these films on other cars you cannot even tell it is there. I am surprised that you saw it so well and it stuck out.

You know what you need to do??? Do the whole truck from the front to back haha. That would be awesome but very pricey haha.

#3 ·
I didn't realize having that done was quite that expensive and while I don't have any experience with it, I have heard good things about it.

- Cajun

#4 ·
The 3M film is okay if your doing freeway/highway driving...but it would not or could not stand up to the 12000 miles or 15000 km's of gravel I drive every year.

IMO...3M antistone chip film is a waste of money...an autobody shop here is spraying a product on cars to help protect them from stone chips that is CLEAR and works way better than the 3m film again, IMO.

I used a similar product on our 2006 Nissan Frontier. Sikkens had a product that was a spray on application and worked very well, it went on my fender fares, hood and behind the rear wheel and infront of the bumper anywhere not protected by the running boards...

my truck is getting done next week...I will take pics when its finished...but there wont be anything to see...:smileup: cause its clear...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.