DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 Outdoorsmen leveling kit

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ramit1500 
#1 ·
Picked up a top guns customz 2.5" leveling kit over the weekend for my 2012 outdoorsmen. I am now reading that the outdoorsmen sits 3/4" higher than other rams. Any other outdoorsmen owners done a 2.5" leveling kit without problems? I have a hard time believing my truck sits higher than other trucks I took a measurement and it has a 3" rake.

#2 ·
What are your stock measurements? Measure ground to the wheel opening at the center of the wheels? I have a 4X4 SLT and measure 39-1/2 on the rear and 37 on the front for a total rake of 2-1/2". I have a 2" leveling kit I'm thinking of installing.

#4 ·
Doesn't look like 2012 outdoorsman is any higher than the other 4X4s stock. Earlier years may have been. My SLT has 34" tires which is 1" greater in diameter than the stockers, so if I subtract 1/2" I get 36-1/2 on the front and 39" on the rear which is what I think it was before I changed the tires. At any rate its a 2 door truck and if yours is a 4 door that could account for the front being a 1/4" lower and back 1/4" higher. Slight differences in how we measure can also account for the difference. At any rate, a 2-1/2" level kit should actually perfectly level your truck. A 2" level will give you a slight 1/2" rake. If I do level, I'm going with the 2" to avoid "nose up" stance when carrying a load.

#9 ·
Installed the kit a couple of days ago very happy with how it turned out. I didn't end up using the the back spacers like how the truck sits now and if I have any trouble with a load on the truck I'll do the airlift air bags like edd5 mentioned. No problems with 4wd. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

#11 ·
That turned out nice. It's gonna look great with wheels.

#12 · (Edited)
Thought I would post some pictures of the updates on the truck. Ended up installing the spacers in the back truck sat a little nose high. I bought a set of factory 20s off a sport for the summer (down the road will get a set of 35" M/Ts to throw on them) and sold my tires off my factory 17s and bought a set of 33" duratracs for the winter. I have also confirmed that the outdoorsman does sit higher than other models. Parked next to my buddies ram who is running rough country 2.5" levelling kit both of us running 275/60/20 at the time pictures below. Also threw in some pictures of my exhaust setup 2.5" ss true duals with h pipe and borla 14" mufflers.

#14 · (Edited)
Must say your truck looks great! I have the same one, black and gray two tone is a great combo.

I have been on the fence about getting a level kit on my outdoorsman since the day I got it. Do you remember or possibly have the link to where you got your kit from? I cant find a 2.5" Top Gunz kit...

I am worried about geting the shakes or wobbles as some call it in 4WD. Have you had a chance to test your 4WD out? Did the level have any noticeable ill effects?

Just saw a leveled outdoorsman just like your the other morning on my commute. You dont live in the Vancouver BC area do you? lol.

#15 ·
Hey, thanks I appreciate it I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out gave me what I needed for clearance, looks a bit more aggressive and without killing milage.

If you want the kit and are only worried about the 4wd wobble than just get the kit. Their are some stock trucks that experience the 4wd wobble. My cv joints are not at an extreme enough of an angle for me to worry about. My buddies ram the blue one pictured has a bit of 4wd wobble. My outdoorsman sits higher and has no wobble at all with lots of 4wd use.

I got the top guns custom kit for no particular reason other than it was in stock at a small offroad shop on a trip to New Brunswick. The kit was on their site before I bought it but they could have removed it since that was quite awhile ago now. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with any other brand all the spacers are pretty well the same design.

No couldn't have been me you saw I'm on the opposite side of the country in Nova Scotia haha.

G
#19 · (Edited)
I was thinking about using the Bilstein's to level front and TLC Airbags for the rear (I occasionally tow a travel 8000 lb. trailer). I think my front sits a little lower due to the Crewcab and Ranchhand grill guard (a must have here in Deer Country). Quick driveway measurement comes up 35.5 front and 40 rear (that's sitting on a sloped driveway). No level ground at my house if that matters. It sure doesn't look like it has that much rake. I think i need to remeasure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.