DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Trouble shooting ideas for why my subs don't work?

2K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  4x4Hemi 
#1 ·
Okay so i got my subs and amp in my truck. and their just not getting any power! my amp is getting power as the light turns on, but the subs get nothing... I've checked all the wires and their all good, made sure negative to negative, and positive to positive... the RCA's hooked up right and the REM is good because obviously my amp is turning on... I can't figure it out and its really bumming me out. Any ideas??

#2 ·
Have you tried a diff amp to start. Also check output of amp thru speaker connects with voltmeter. And sometimes you can use the wrong remote wire behind radio. Just a few things I've seen myself

#3 ·
Are you claiming the subs don't move at all? If so, check the signal (RCA). You will need to provide some details of how the system is setup also.

Stock headunit? Aftermarket?
Sub output?

If you are saying the subs are working, but not strong enough, then disconnect just one of them. If the remaining sub sounds stronger then you have them out of phase. reverse one set of wires to one sub.

#6 ·
Hmm its possible that too. I'm not even sure. i should check the output of the stereo in out on the amp first, before i check the power wire ground wire.

I think he grounded it to the battery, argh I'm not sure. next time your in edmonton you should let me know! and look at it haha

#7 ·
If your using the sub output from an aftermarket deck, have you selected the subwoofer RCA to be active. Most of them you have to turn it ON to use it.

#9 ·
You seem sure that your power, ground and remote wiring are done correctly so then the culprit must be related to the signal or possibly faulty equipment. Signal problems can be as simple as a RCA that is not fully connected, or pulled loose during the installation, or it could be damaged in some way. Try using a different RCA cable and from there trying to isolate where the hiccup is.

As someone else has mentioned, its also possible that the signal to that RCA output is not enabled via the radio. You should be able to find a subwoofer menu setting that will control whether it's on or not, and maybe also things like gain/boost and phase.

A faulty amplifer most often does not turn on, or goes into protect mode and will show a light that reflects this. Not all amps, or problems with them, guarantee this. Begin by isolating each component of the sub system and you will eventually find your problem.

#10 ·
Great advice mike

I have assured its not the RCA as I've changed it from different rcas in the head unit and then changed RCA cables. I have tried many different things and now that I have bought a multi meter, if this does not work, I will br taking it in to a shop. I know I'll get screwed on prices. But I don't know what to do. Ive already spent $400 more then what I've wanted to spend and I still don't kno what to do.

#13 ·
Ummmmmmmm........ If that's how he installed the power and ground then I would be taking it all apart and redoing, just to be sure. Wow, just wow. You definatly need to get some proper battery terminals, the crimp kind from visions will be fine, just close them with a pair of pliers or a hammer then shrink wrap them.

#16 ·
Uhm I think it said hyper tech or something like that? I'll check later it said on the cord what it was. I replaces the little peice from the fuse on, but now I need terminal connectors and I have some extra 4 gauge left over to. See if it works

#17 ·
Glad you found your problem. That is one of the reasons I recommend doing it yourself, even if there are things to learn along the way. Very few people will treat your car the way you would. Cutting corners like that is not only cheap, but could be dangerous in the right situation. Update your progress, especially if you need any more help.

Reactions: 4x4Hemi
#18 ·
Try and ground it near the amp. You can use a seat bolt or screw into metal somewhere and the shorter the better. Also, sand any paint where the wire terminal is making contact with the metal. If you put a ring terminal on the power wire, you can put it on the terminal next to the "v" in the second picture.

#19 ·
Wow, if you buddy did that install, then you better check the connections on the deck before you catch the truck on fire.

#20 ·
Im assuming its the problem, seems like thats what would be the problem right??

Just one more question before i go out and buy terminal connectors and replace that shit power wire he has there...

Should my ground be 4 gauge as well?? because what you see connected to the battery (as a ground) is obviously not 4 gauge, and i won't be connecting it to the battery as a ground again for sure, its also spliced together

I have plenty of 4 gauge left, should i change it to that?

And i agree, i won't let anyone work on my truck like that again, really bugs me he would connect it like that. what a dink.

#24 ·
Yeah, same gauge in and out is a good rule of thumb. For low power systems you can get away with 4ga in 8ga out, but why potentially restrict the system when you don't have to. The seat bolt works great, and like was said earlier, make sure you have bare metal at all connection points to get a proper ground.

#25 ·
Yeah i agree with that, plus i have about 15 feet of it so might as well haha. Pulled out his shitty ground wire he had in before and yeah... glad i took it out, its pig tailed in a couple spots, and probably LESS then 8 gauge... Replaced with 4 gauge thats only 1 foot long, going to be attached to seat bolt.

Thanks for the help guys, been extremely helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.