DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: basic-no power
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
HansCavu is on a distinguished road

Hello to all the above hard working mechanics. Maybe because of my age I was hoping for a smaller project. You guys really get into it! Maybe you can help me keep this simple and to the point. I want it fixed right but don't want to rebuild the whole front.

My truck is leaking coolant. Can't see where it is coming from. My first thought was water pump. When cold , no leak, radiator not too low. Check level and add just a little, drips. Start engine, it starts pissing, fan throws it everywhere. Turn off, piss continues. Not a spray, more like a stream. Not long after piss stops. I check level and only need to add a little. At some point close to full the drip starts again then stops after a short while.
It seems to me that if the leak was high, what I described is what would happen. If it was my water pump I would have to add a lot more coolant. Is there a crossover hose somewhere under the air conditioner pump? Does my logic seem true?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok! So I gunked the engine and pressure washed to see if I could track the leak.
Now there is no dripping when I top off the radiator. when the engine is running there is no coolant coming out anywhere. I am positive the fluid was green coolant dripping off the front of the crank. Has anyone experienced an intermittent coolant leak????
Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Hans, once again, I would just recommend pressurizing the cooling system with a radiator pressure tester. Go to the quarter car wash and clean the entire area around the WP and timing cover at the block. The crud from earlier seepage will impair a clear view of the leak. The leak wont happen until the radiator pressure is at running temp, so just starting it won't tell you anything. The big spot it starts is on the passenger side, but you cant see it due to the engine accessories in the way. Keep looking, and we'll be here to help.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

^^ I agree ^^

Pressure test is the way to go.

If there is some loose scale in the cooling system and one of the upper cores in the radiator is leaking something bay have blocked it. Also if the water pump is leaking from the weep-hole in the bottom it can happen intermittently.

I think the best bet is to clean and pressure test it.

Second, make sure the expansion tank isn't overfilled.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok, I pressure checked it and it is not holding pressure. The view of the bottom of the water pump is obscured by the Harmonic Balancer. That is where the coolant is dripping from the rear corner. No evidence of coolant above that. I used my telescoping mirror to look around. Without actually seeing the hole on the water pump it seems that area is where the leak is. Looks like I'll have to tear into it to know for sure.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you Laz & War,
Hope the abbreviations are ok.
Progress report: engine stripped down to pump
area now sanitary
small bypass hose bulging
guess I'll replace pump and hoses at this point
no obvious leakage evidence
wondering about timing cover, sealants, etc.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Depending on your mileage, you may want to consider replacing the timing chain at this point.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, Road Runner embroidered head rests, Plasticolor rear flaps with metal Ram logo.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I was going to suggest using a cell phone video to slowly move around under there with the engine off.

They can get into some pretty tight spaces to see what it looks like. My guess is the weep hole in the bottom of the pump. I'd also replace the hose and clamps to save some future aggravation.

How dare you abbreviate LT's SN what r u thinking?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Loving what Warlock said! Lets make sure your timing-chain cover isn't leaking at the block! Pleeeese check that area carefully. We have fixes for that too.