DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Supercharger vs. 4th Gen Transmission

18K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
I would like to see some comments from Trans Engineer about his opinions about the affect of the new RIPP's supercharger on a stock 4th gen transmission. The supercharger looks great and the special pricing looks tempting but I want to know if I will have to either replace or rebuild the stock transmission to feel safe with the 4th gen trans.
Jay

#3 ·
why don't you just send him a private message vs waiting on him to stumble upon your thread???

#4 ·
I thought others might have the same question since the pricing on the supercharger seems really attractive.
Jay

#5 ·
Well I'm not an engineer but I am a Heavy tech at a chrysler dealer (trans, engine, axle, ect...) And I can say that the RFE trans is pretty damn strong. I've only seen two blow up in my two years at the dealer and they were both caused by torque converter failure do to towing with overdrive. The guts of the 45RFE, 545RFE, and 65RFE are pretty beefy and I would say you could but 500 to 600 hp to them easily, just monitor your temp from time to time and you should be good. Anything over 600 hp you might want to do some internal upgrades or just swap over to an unbreakable 68RFE, those are behind the cummins and my God are they strong.

#6 ·
the problem is with the 1-2 frictions which are also shared with the overdrive IIRC. Just off hand I can think of 4 guys that have dropped their 545RFE. 2 of them only had bolt-ons and the other 2 were FI running 7-8psi (one was turbo the other a magnuson)

#9 ·
Hell I didn't even want to mess with the stock trans. I put in the ATS built trans before the Magnacharger. It is a beast of a trans, very strong/firm.

#10 ·
In all fairness to the trans we have over 20,000 supercharged miles on it.
The only place we found any issue with trans. temps is while climbing through the Rockies. This all while towing 7000lbs of 2012 4dr Jeep Wrangler. Our Ram is also lifted on 37" tires.
It was at that point in our Cross country Trip that we installed a trans cooler.
We Finished our tow to Moab, Utah, then towed our Jeep from Moab, to Portland Oregon, then back to our shop in NYC. We made sure that our calibrations also took into account the transmission, and is all easily up-loadable through our included Diablosport tuner.

Any modifications made to this vehicle, you should make sure to calibrate the ecu to compensate. We would like to know if any of these vehicles that broke their transmissions with bolt-ons were calibrated or had been flashed after said mods.

RIPP

#12 ·
Right up front, in front of the condenser where is belongs, and we got a fan for it as well... Worked out perfect, never had an issue again.

Please keep in mind... 10000ft altitude, towing through Colorado pulling a 7000lbs payload on 37's is about the limit of a 1500 - and, our test mule has stock manifolds and cats as well...

RIPPTECH

#13 ·
Your going to have to have the tranny built if you wanna run forced induction. It doesn't take much to tear up the 545rfe. I guarantee me and a lot of others on this forum can tell you it wont take much for it to go and your will see slipping in 4th and 5th gear ratios.

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I just found out the hard way the torque rating of the 65rfe. Nuked the torque converter, 2nd and 4th gear clutches. Had it rebuilt right though. New updated TC, transgo shift kit, line booster, and new clutches. Have LSD 3.55 rear end. My mods that the tranny couldn't handle include, bbk shorty headers, k&n full CAI system, edge tune, pedal commander, and magnaflow cat back. Stock trans couldn't take it and committed suicide after 30000 miles. Upgraded rebuilt trans should handle it better and would recommend doing trans first, power adders later. Cost me $4700 CDN after tax. Food for thought for anyone chasing more power.

#16 ·
I installed a procharger d-1sc on my 2014 last fall. I have the 8 speed and have yet to have any problems. Only about 3k miles with s/c but I will post any problems I have if and when they occur.

#18 ·
The 8HP70 has a 516 lb-ft capacity and does well with mild boost. The RFE only holds 410 lb-ft

Tow/haul mode is the savoiur, correct?
No, your stock Hemi is 3 lb-ft within the max capacity of the transmission

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.