DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Disabling MDS Per Ram Engineers

133K views 143 replies 105 participants last post by  2015 5.7 4x4 
#1 ·
This is direct from the chat with the Ram Hemi Engineers.

To disable the MDS, put your shifter from D to 5 (as displayed on the EVIC or cluster). With the console shifter, this is just one hit to the left. With the column shifter you need to push the +- button - one time.

Your trans will still shift up and down automatically through all the gears.

Tow/haul button is not the correct method.

#107 ·
I didnt mind the MDS before today when i had a muffler swap done. When it would kick in i was thinking i would probably eventually go back to the stock muffler b/c of how the exhaust sounded with the 4 cylinders...but disabling it definitely did the trick. I love how it sounds all the time now :smileup:

#109 ·
Changing to louder muffler and mds will have the drone sound.
I like my mds, i follow the mileage thrue whole year snd its 70% street and 30% highway and i get 15 mpg.
I tried driving it on street with mds off and i got 12.5 to 12.9 mpg.

#110 ·
On the 8-speeds, you can run it to 8th manual, use 8th gear, and no MDS. While parked, or while driving, select drive, tap (-), then tap (+) until 8 is displayed. Full 8 speeds, no MDS.

#111 ·
On the 8-speeds, you can run it to 8th manual, use 8th gear, and no MDS. While parked, or while driving, select drive, tap (-), then tap (+) until 8 is displayed. Full 8 speeds, no MDS.
Works that way on mine too. If you put it in park or neutral, like when you are sitting in a long line at Mc'd's, then you have to manually put it back in 8th again when you put it back in to drive.

#112 ·
Glad I found this thread. I have a 2015 6.4L that has a vibration between 35 and 50 that is very annoying. Dealer told me it was due to the TC clutch and it would go away after breaking in for 2500 miles. I have since concluded it is the MDS. By shifting to manual it is disabled and the vibration goes away.
I find the MDS more annoying than helpful and around 45-50 mph I am always giving it more gas to maintain speed, causing the tranny to downshift and probably use more gas than necessary. I am going to keep it in manual shift unless on the highway.
As others have said, I wish there was a button to disable the MDS.

#113 ·
Mds

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Tradesman short bed, single cab, 6 speed trans. I bought the truck about 1 month ago with 15k miles on it. I have added a S&B CAI and Magnaflow Catback exhaust (16869). I drive the truck a mix of hwy and city and I have NEVER noticed when the MDS is either On or Off. Perhaps it's been disabled?? The ECO light still comes on during hwy driving though. Maybe I'm missing something?? Although I do NOT tow or haul.

#114 ·
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Tradesman short bed, single cab, 6 speed trans. I bought the truck about 1 month ago with 15k miles on it. I have added a S&B CAI and Magnaflow Catback exhaust (16869). I drive the truck a mix of hwy and city and I have NEVER noticed when the MDS is either On or Off. Perhaps it's been disabled?? The ECO light still comes on during hwy driving though. Maybe I'm missing something?? Although I do NOT tow or haul.
I have a 2013 RCSB and when the ECO light comes on the MDS is on. I can only tell its on at slow speed by the sound; it almost sounds like it's bogging down. I turn my off always..

#115 ·
i have a question about mds..
i know what it does but i cant tell when its on my tuck. my 11 shows a eco light on the evic right next to the compass.. leaving my house to go into town it will stay off. then once i get to my speed (50mph-40mph then its hits 30mph in town) it will stay on. i did notice going up hills here in the hill county of texas truck wont downshift she just kicks the rest of the 4cylinders on. while my gmas 10 cadi dts with v8 will downshift going up the same hill same speed.. (i out power her, bigger engine size, and weight.)

also will it come on at idle (the eco light isnt on) makes sense that it would.

i really dont know what to think about the mds system i dont feel it bogging down i came from a 14 cruze LS 1.8L 6 speed auto with 3.92 and 140hp (in regular auto lowest 5th gear was 28mph and it would bog its self down). so i ran 4th and bogging went away. i know my hemi has way more but thats all i can compare it to.

#116 ·
Whenever the Eco light is on. MDS is enabled. Under 10 mph its is automatically disabled. I know in my 13 I can hear it and feel it.. It shakes under a load until it's goes 8cyl. Slight vibration. I hate it. It's always disabled in my truck whether tow haul or in 4th gear. Unless I'm cruising over 60, then I enable it.

#117 ·
thanks i thought it would come on at idle as well. to me it would make sense.

#124 ·
What about a '16? I don't ever see an ECO light in my dash but I can tell when it's coming on and off by the "bog"

#126 ·
Ok thanks. I'll take a look at my settings tonight.

#127 ·
Interesting thread I'm new to the Ram, but not the 5.7, I own an 08 Charger. In most of the LX platform the ECO light being illuminated does not coincide with MDS being activated. the ECO light just means you are not using a lot of fuel for the given operating parameters. The MDS defiantly means MDS is activated. could that be the same with the Rams. not that it matters.
Q. In general, how bad is the MDS drone when mods are a cat back and a CAI?
I found it really annoying with the Charger and those mods.
My intent is to do exactly that, along with other bolt ons.

#128 ·
WOW. I just tried using the "paddle shifters" , going form 1-8 and I'm happy that that works. no ECO light, no MDS .Truck seems to hand in gear a little bit longer, does this effect the shifting pattern / points?
The MDS didn't bother me, but I'm new to the truck, and I read that the 14s the engineers did a better job with the in/out parameters?
This alone is worth the price of admission!
Thanks!...to whoever posted this

#129 ·
I have a new '16 QC and I love driving it with the shifter set to 8th. It must be something weird in my driving style but I have found that I have actually gained about 1/2 MPG driving in manual mode. One of my few gripes with the truck was that when cruising, the MDS would definitely bog when trying to accelerate mildly and I think that may be the source of my increased mileage. I found that if I kicked it in the butt, it would come out of MDS faster, but that would result in accelerating more than needed and having to back off. With the MDS turned off, I can just push it by the amount actually needed and I'm saving gas. Especially since I'm driving in Southern California traffic and needing to speed up and slow down by moderate amounts a lot. Also nothing to do with MDS, but I love crushing Bimmers and Audis off the line. :)

Cheers
Jason

#133 ·
I would also like to know this. For me, I'd like to keep it from activating below 50. I'll just keep it in '5' for now, whenever cruising around town. :smileup: MDS sure sounds like crap with an aftermarket muffler! I swear mine activates as low as 25 mph.

#141 ·
No, the 8 MDS lifters disconnect the top and bottom parts so the valves stop opening, and the PCM cuts fuel to those cylinders. The pistons are still moving up and down, around the crank, lifters are still following the cam. I suppose the valves, pushrods, and rockers may get a little less theoretical wear, but not anything you'd ever know about. This is something Chrysler specifically tested for 13 years ago when they implemented it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.