DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ripp supercharger

7K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  chris41623 
#1 ·
I have a ripp supercharger on my 2011 ram 1500..has anyone else had this done on same year..currently my truck runs really rich and they said they are unable to tune it..but my local tuner said they can...I feel like I'm getting the run around..has any had a ripp supercharger tuned successfully by ripp..?

#2 ·
I've been running a ripp kit since September and at first it was throwing the system too rich code every once in a while so I recorded some data, sent it to them and they came up with a tune and it's been fine ever since. Not sure why yours would be any different...what are they saying is the issue?

#4 ·
You could get a a/f ratio gauge and that would let you take care of the not being able to datalog it. It'll cost you about $200 for one though so you'd have to be willing to spend a little more to be able to figure it out.

#5 ·
I just don't understand their answer they can't tune it..I was also told by a local tuner that they can get Wat they need through long term adapter and the 02 sensor reading which I can log..so is that possible? Idk who's right. .I'm currently in the process of having it dyno tuned with Diablo cmr..but I just wanted a better answer

#6 ·
hmmm...if you're getting dyno tuned then they don't really need to datalog it as they are getting the data live...are they saying they can't datalog a/f in closed loop or open loop? wot would be difficult to log as it goes off tables in open loop and you would need to find a way to log a wideband...

#7 ·
Not sure open loop or closed loop..but the dyno tune I'm getting done local isn't Wat I'm asking I have to get it dyno tuned to correct a problem that ripp should be able to fix..that's what I'm trying to find out if there is PID's that can be logged on the trinity that can show them Wat they need..I'm told 02 sensors can be read through trinity and give them Wat they need

#8 ·
I think they are referring to reading a wideband sensor through the trinity. But you need to have a wideband sensor to be able to do that. You can go out and buy the gauge and hook it up and then you should be able to log whatever they need you to to be able to fix the problem.

#11 · (Edited)
x3

Air/Fuel ratio is not a standard Diablo parameter available for data logging or monitoring through the Ram OBDII port.
But it is possible to make it one if you're willing to go through the trouble and the cost...

First you need a Wide Band gauge from a reputable company ( I have an AutoMeter )
with a bung welded to your exhaust for the sensor...preferably before the cat on the drivers side down tube.

Then you need wideband pigtail (RCA connector) that is tapped into the gauge,
and plugged into the mini RCA analogue input on your Trinity.

Diablo Sport - T1015 DiabloSport Trinity Analog Pigtail Cable

Then you setup the Analog Input configuration in your Trinity

You Tube instructions here:
Challenger DiabloSport Trinity Analog Input Install and Config - YouTube

That's What RIPP is expecting from you to remote tune your A/F ratio.

A Dyno Tuner (CMR) will often use a tail pipe sniffer to measure your A/F ratio, so no need to have a wideband installed.

#13 · (Edited)
Everyone I know with a Ripp kit has smoked their stock transmission, (mine lasted 2 months)
and upgraded to a "Built" one from Mike (aka MGH) at L&M Customs (including myself)

$2500 if he modifies your transmission, (frictions,pump,valve body and custom tuning)
+$500 if you want him to supply a used core (you keep your stock trans)
+$1000 if you want an upgraded Torque Converter with better holding power (ATS Triple Disc 3000 stall)

some good reading on Ram transmission options here:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141021

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124821

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146929

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153656

#16 · (Edited)
8psi , I can go higher just by increasing my shift points up a couple hundred rpm.

But it's not recommended unless you're running Water/Meth or forged pistons.
Stock Hemi pistons are not really built to handle more than 4psi. (narrow ring lands)

I setup my system on the advice from Mike at L&M customs.

More info on Water/Meth for Boosted applications here:
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/

more in my build thread:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65939&page=24

#20 · (Edited)
I gave you a link already to read up on Water/Meth aka Alcohol Injection
here it is again...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/

it helps keep you from doing this to your poor stock pistons/rings
when you're running more than 6psi...

Reduces air charge temperatures by 50-150+ degrees​

• Reduces cylinder temperatures by up to 300+ degrees​
  • Increases your 87-93 octane pump gas by 8-20+ points​
  • Allows you to safely run more boost and timing​
  • Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression​
  • Removes carbon build-up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves​
  • Reduces and helps eliminate engine damaging detonation and pre-ignition​
  • No need for expensive racing fuel or additives​
Protect your motor and the investment you have in your motor with one of AIS’s water methanol injection systems. Have questions or need technical help choosing the right system? Give us a call at 1-801-447-ALKY(2559). It’s 100 Proof Performance!!

==============================================

For a Boost Proof transmission, L&M Customs out of Delaware...

Mike Herbert (aka user name mgh on the forum) shoot him a pm,
I think you'll see several of his posts in the transmission links I posted.
here's his profile page: http://www.ramforumz.com/member.php?u=28255

and his Twin Turbo Build thread: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83155

You can also contact him by phone
(he has no website)

L & M Customs
113 Sunshine Lane
Middletown, DE 19709
1 (302) 449-5225

#21 ·
I've got Mike from L&M building me a transmission as we speak. Dealing with him I've received the best customer service I've ever had. He's always just a phone call away and has set me up with Matt from Moe's Performance for a torque converter and a few other goodies. Highly recommended

#22 ·
He does go WAY above and beyond, no doubt.

I sent him a text in the middle of my stock trans rebuild
that he sent me the frictions for (free of charge)
He responds almost instantly everytime, even on weekends.

He arranged a pair of ATS torque converters for Brad and I at his cost, when we ordered our transmissions
and advised me on my water meth kit/install, hooked me up with his #1 contact at alcohol injection systems.

Between Mike at L&M and Matt at Moe's I owe a Ton of gratitude!

I like to support the little guys who know and understand customer service is still more important than absolute lowest price.
...yet they seem to be very good at that too!

#23 ·
I am currently putting on arh long tube headers and I wanted to know if any one else has because they have no heat shield and the wheel well is plastic and heat lines are very close..will they melt? Also the egr port gets covered by new headers will it throw check engine codes now?

#27 · (Edited)
I had Mike pick up a used core in Delaware ($500) to rebuild
Took about a week before he shipped it out from the day I paid a deposit

It would have cost me $1000 to ship him my core
(International shipping by courier over 1000 miles from Alberta Canada to Delaware)

...plus I wanted to keep my original as a spare
That's the one I recently rebuilt with clutches Mike sent me.

Mike combined shipped a pair of transmissions on a single pallet for me and a buddy to save $$$.
His cost was $125/pallet shipped to the Canada/US border, $25 for storage at the border,
we drove down within a few days ( 6 hour road trip one way) in my buds' Cummins
Cost us $140 in Diesel (split two ways)

The following day we de-greased and cleaned them, the following weekend we painted them
then we waited until my stock trans took a dump, ( two months later ) before installing it.

#29 · (Edited)
Ok 5th edit is gonna be the charm!

I agree 110% with what everyone says about Mike being a great guy with a great wealth of knowledge on these trucks. When I had him build my trans I removed it and we met half way and he rebuilt my original trans. He said he usually keeps one on hand to swap out your busted one so there is no down time but "somebody" aka BlackRamHemi just got the one he had built already.

As far as the headers go I haven't seen anything with the rubber hoses yet. But I would say be very careful with the dipstick tube. I took mine out cause it was all up the way for install and the tip broke off in my oil pan. That was the worst 3 hours with a borescope through the drain plug EVER! Then watch out for the brake lines along the drivers side frame rail. The one going to the RF caliper was touching the headers until I bent it out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.