DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

G
#40 ·
Hey Guys i have gotten a lot from this topic post, as i live in Southern California we have to smog our vehicles. Part of the smog test is visual inspection for any alterations, so other than the K&N which comes with a C.A.R.B. (california air resource board) approval does any else know if the other C.A.I. offer the C.A.R.B. cert if not i will be buying a K&N

#41 ·
when i go for smog I take 10 minutes and put my stock setup back in...I dont want the inspector to think there is anything else to look for which may not be legal...

#43 ·
Well I am new to the game for cold air intakes for trucks but......tons of studies have been done for CAI's for Corvettes. Dyno runs with the hood up and the hood down with under the hood temp monitoring while dyno runs with high speed fans and without..... etc. Most of the information came down to a larger intake (volume and piping) and a larger more porus filter and not so much "cold" air. Most hot air gets flushed out during travel so it becomes much less of an issue. What is an issue is the filter size and how well it flows. Now that is another can or worms but a lot of what we have seen with K&N filters was not very impressive, as a matter of fact any of the "oil cleaned" filters flowed very poorly for vettes.

#44 ·
..I am in totally agreement, that's why when i run a ramhammer (bfi), I switched out the oiled filter that came with and am using an Amsoil dryflow one..

Attachments

#48 ·
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. In my opinion none of the commercially CAI's are the "perfect" CAI. Here's my list of requirements of the "perfect" CAI.

1. Direct cold air. No hot air from inside the engine compartment. As a former jet mechanic its a fact that cold air is denser and better for power.

2. Duct should has as few bends as possible. The bends should be as smooth as possible. The duct should not be made of a heat conducting material such as metal. Plastic throws off heat much better. Even then, I still think the tube should be wrapped in a heat reflecting material or insulation of some type.

3. Filter should be good enough to prevent particulate matter from entering the TB. But open enough to allow for high volume flow. I do not like the oiled filters in the least.

4. Only flex points should be at the TB and where the CAI mounts to the body of the truck such as where the tube connects to the filter box.

As I said in the original post, the stock set up on the 09/10 is better than most of the aftermarket CAI's in my opinion. This is because it is enclosed and uses true cold air. It loses points for the design of the tube which is ribbed rubber. I would also like to see a larger opening for the fender connection and have it better sealed to keep heat out.

#55 ·
Just ordered a Volant today from autoanything for ~$320 shipped and included the power core filter. Seemed like a pretty good price. We'll see how it works out. I had the Mopar CAI on my '06 Night Runner and didn't think much of it.
That sounds really good! On the volant site that would have been 550! I want one now!!! And make a scoop for myself! Put pictures up when you get it!

#56 ·
I would love to evaluate my BFI, but apparently they are never gonna ship! :doh:

#67 ·
If you find them, post them up. :D

#68 · (Edited)
fellas, Id like to add some info to this thread with my evaluation of my recent mod.. Ive recently installed the AFE stage 11 intake and tested it last friday eve nov 6. Well..................it was a disaster:LOL: get this DA was -1300, prime for some awesome runs! All I could squeeze out of the AFE was a 14.008:doh: I was strangling the hell out of that Diablo tuner changing WOT fuel richness etc.. and couldnt get anything to work. My previous best 13.783 was in +273 DA with my OEM modded intake which can be found here
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61243
easily outperformed this AFE stage 11. My conclusion is, a (my) modded OEM intake runs stronger with a (canned) 93 tune than the aftermarket CAI with same (canned) 93 tune. These are my findings and proven:wavey:Naturally it would be different if I had a custom tune with the AFE 11 but that would be a waste of money to me especially not having headers yet. I yanked it out and put back my modded OEM back on and I will have 3 more tries for that elusive 13.6sssss
I have had this truck 3 months and have been to the track 10 times with over 80 slips to show for it and absolutely enjoyed every bit of it.:smileup: My goal was to crack 13.6999 with the mods in my sig. and missed the opportunity the other nite. Should of left her alone:LOL: and ran with normal setup..did the math and I couldve snagged a 13.578 the other nite with the -DA 1300 with my normal setup but I dont believe in the shoulda, coulda, woulda BS. (This stuff is kiddy pool for some of the heavy hitters here but for people that just want to do modest bolt ons I hope you find this informative or helpful)

Of course Im a little upset but I have 3 more track days. Ive attached my previous best with the OEM modded intake on the left slip left lane and AFE stage 11 on the right slip solo.. DA can be verified dragtimes..
I guess what Im trying to say is.. to the people that really believes in their OEM box being pretty good design? youve got my vote:smiley_thumbs_up:
note: I will be putting back my aftermarket CAI on when I get headers and a custom tune..but not now

#69 · (Edited)
#70 · (Edited)
now you know why I bought the AFE:LOL:
By all means Im no expert and also not really into the "shoptalk claims" Ill spend the few $$ on the 1/4 mile dyno which is a waste to some, but Ive been around long enough to learn to at least try to prove to myself the so called claims..:smiley_thumbs_up:
916Timmy you can find a dyno for AFE here if you scroll down to product details and click on the link "new product announcement http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...ck&model=1500&year=2009&engine=V8&&brandID=53

#71 ·

Attachments

#72 ·
those have been out since mid 09 but still our very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.