DODGE RAM FORUM banner

catch can for 07 5.7

40K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  alecmcmahon 
#1 ·
What are the options for putting a catch can on my 07 Ram QC 5.7. I see they have the PCV as a single internal piece. Thoughts I had were to cut off the bottom end right after the latch pieces and gut it, drill it out and run a hose through it to a catch can. Down side I see on that is the size of the tube would be pretty small but the stock isn't very big. Second thought I had was to cap it off and put a proper pcv into the valve cover and run that through a catch can.

Unless there is an already good solution out there that I'm not seeing.

#3 ·
Yea you cannot put a catch can on your 07. I wanted to do that same with my truck but sadly we cannot

#12 ·
You can have it. Here's what I did and seems to be working with no problems. I took the passenger side valve cover off and drilled a 1" hole in it to fix a GM Vortec 4.3 grommet and PCV. Replaced the valve cover and took out the factory PCV valve. I used Toyota Orange/Red high temp oil resistant RTV (I've never used RTV that is as nasty as this stuff) to fill from the bottom the factory PCV allowing this to dry overnight. Bolted a Moroso catch can I got from a SRT8 Challenger that was already powder coated black to the brake booster using the existing bolt. ran a hose from the PCV to the catch can routing it underneath the Hemi cover. The other hose I T'd into the brake booster vaccuum line behind the Hemi cover. Once the cover is replaced it's barely noticeable and seems to be working properly.

total time was about 2 hours other than waiting for the RTV to dry. And I need to get better hoses as I didn't realize the fittings on the catch can were bigger than the lines I was tapping into.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry for my ignorance guys, but this is the first forum I've been in that mentions a catch can. Will someone explain this to me and the benefits of it? Thanks in advance, :smileup:
Dave

Just read the thread on the BT oil catch can and had my questions answered. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#15 · (Edited)
i know this thread is kinda old, but i thought that the pipe/hose that comes from the driver side valve cover to the intake box was the PCV? b/c i made a catch can from scratch and attached it to that hose? was i just mislead? or is that different on the 08's? i would think that would be the same.

#20 ·
Just like Moparnocar just stated and showed a pic of the oil he caught in his can - it is to keep oil out of the intake manifold and other areas where it shouldnt be.

I just wished it would work on my 2007 but no such luck.

#23 · (Edited)
08 and older hemi intake manifolds are internal and cannot use a catch can unless you modify them. Now if you swapped to a new 6.1 manifold then you could add a catch can. But im sure there is some mild modifications needed to do that. But at least you would see a performance increase. The only down side is now you would also have to fabricate yourself a new intake tube aswell and in the end would probable have about 600-700$ tied into the swap maybe 500$ if you got everything dirt cheap. Or you could swap to a stock 09+ plastic eagle manifold instead of a 6.1 which might save a few bills.

#24 ·
Cost to date on the 6.1L intake manifold swap is around $1100. That's a manifold, adapter spacers, LMI CF hammer intake, catch can, and hose upgrade. I went a step further and got a set of eagle heads for $600 so I won't need the spacers.
Just drill out the valve cover and add a catch can, saves you a WHOLE lot of money.

#30 ·
That cai is awesome!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.