DODGE RAM FORUM banner

BIG loss of power

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cincyram 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, so if this is in the incorrect place please let me know, or if a mod wouldn't mind moving the thread that'd be great!

I have a '97 1500 5.2L (well duhh :i_rolleyes:) I bought the truck dirt cheap not too long ago with a few issues that I knew had to be addressed, I've worked may way through most of them except for this one; Lately I have noticed a great loss of power, especially on the highway while trying to overtake, or gain speed to merge. I've also noticed a change in pitch of the motor sound coming from the engine bay. It has a full CAI and dual Flowmaster 40's and the exhaust pitch has gone up dramatically, especially noticeable when trying to pick up speed (which I now have to floor the thing to merge on the highway safely). I've had a MAJOR loss in MPG's as well. While on the highway the CEL begins to blink, I will have that read at Autozone tomorrow, everywhere was closed today. I burn through coolant like it's the truck's job. Had a small leak on seals of the radiator, which I fixed with RTV, but now I'm guessing head gaskets?

I will try to get a clearer description as the problems persist/develop. But I was curious as to if this problem sounded like anything popular with this engine/size. I am very motor literate with Ford's modular engines, but have never worked on this one very extensively before, so take it easy on me willya!? :3-smash::D

-Taylor

See less See more
#2 ·
Loss of power and engine noise sounding different when stepping on it sounds like it could be a clogged cataylic convertor . Try dropping your exhaust pipes off your manifolds , be careful (due to risk of fire) and make sure theres nothing in the way of the hot exhaust , don't run it real long , then see if your power has come back . By dropping the pipes and opening up your maniolds will allow the engine to breathe . Let me know what the outcome is .

#4 ·
cats could be clogged, try cleaning out the throttle body, another guy was wondering about the upshifting passing too. these 318's are notorious for their lack of passing power, mine is the same way i have a port and polished throttle body with an open face air cleaner and no cat with a super 44 flowmaster, and still struggles to upshift and gain that passing speed at about 70 mph, its not horrible but thats the only thing i dont like about the 318.

#6 ·
I have no problem with 318 picking up speed once I'm going around 65. It's trying to get up to that point that I have issues. I plan on putting a Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer. Any word if this is a good product compared to others and could this add HP like it claims.

#9 ·
I did some research after you guys let me know about the spacers. It's up in the air on if they actually do anything but I'm gonna steer clear of it. Talked to a buddy that's a mechanic for a local dodge dealer. He said to check the injectors and make sure you don't have a clog or any carbon buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.