DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4W Auto option

11K views 92 replies 39 participants last post by  ApexCars 
#1 ·
My truck is a 4X4 but I noticed my truck does not have the four wheel auto, just the 4 wheel lock and 4 wheel low. But some truck have the auto, what is the difference of having it vs. not having it.

#4 ·
4 wheel auto engages the front diif. but leaves it in neutral, then if the system detects wheel slip it autmatically engages the front diff. You can drive with it in auto all the time. It will hurt your mileage a little but that's it.

4 wheel lock engages the front diff and it is in gear all the time. You can't drive on dry roads with it because it will bind the diff and can cause damage.

#5 ·
Four wheel drive auto automatically engages the four wheel drive system when the computer detects rear wheel slippage. You can turn four wheel auto on without any issues, damage, or binding unlike four wheel lock. Four wheel auto does engage the front axle (but not the transfer case) so an decrease of about 1 MPG may be noticed.

#9 · (Edited)
I had it on my 2009,but not on my 2011. I made sure I got it on my 2014. I had to shift into 4 wheel drive so many times pulling away fro a stop sign,because of slick spots.I would go without Sirius/XM long before I would give up 4w auto.

Since when is it ONLY available in Canada? I live in,and bought my truck in the USA.

#10 ·
That's odd. I thought all 4x4 Big Horns came with 4wd AUTO. My '13 Big Horn 8 speed has 4wd AUTO and it was standard.

#16 ·
my 2010 4.7 SLT quad cab didn't have the auto, but my 2014 5.7 crew does.

maybe it is model specific?

DOH! :doh: What he said ^^^ sorry bacon!

#24 ·
I thought the "Auto 4WD" option or availability had to do with trim level.

I can't tell you which ones have it and which ones don't but I think they have 2 different transfer cases depending on what model/trim level you get.

One of the transfer cases offers it while the other does not.

#31 ·
Electric Shift-On-The-Fly vs. Electric Shift-On-Demand are the two transfer case differences that I see with the two truck examples I posted earlier. The Shift-On-Demand transfer case gives you the 4WD Auto.

What's strange, is that both of those trucks are 2014 Big Horn 4x4 with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Both have the 22Z Customer Preferred Package, too. The pictures verify the two different transfer cases. The question is "Why"? :4-dontknow:

#28 ·
I know people have said that if you leave it in 4wd lock position it will bind up, I don't drive too far on dry pavement before switching back to 2wd. I use the 4wd on snow covered roads and just leave it there, the little bit of bare roads doesn't seem to bother it.

#32 ·
Agreed! Valid question, why 2 different transfer cases? And whats the difference between "Shift on the fly" and "Shift on demand"?? I don't get it.

I've had 4 of these trucks now, all Sport trim. My 06 had the "Auto 4x4" my 09 did not and my 14 does.

Very strange.

#38 ·
I did a little digging on the transfer cases for the 2014 RAM pickups. Here is what I found. The 4WD versions come with one of two Borg-Warner transfer cases, either the 44-45 (part-time 4WD) or the 44-44 (on-demand 4WD). I talked to the people at RAM and they said the on demand transfer case is an option that needs to be ordered. It comes as an option on the big horn.Here is the link to compare models. http://www.ramtrucks.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUT201413&variation

#40 ·
I did a little digging on the transfer cases for the 2014 RAM pickups. Here is what I found. The 4WD versions come with one of two Borg-Warner transfer cases, either the 44-45 (part-time 4WD) or the 44-44 (on-demand 4WD). I talked to the people at RAM and they said the on demand transfer case is an option that needs to be ordered. It comes as an option on the big horn.Here is the link to compare models. http://www.ramtrucks.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUT201413&variation
That link doesn't make any sense compared to your post so now I'm more confused? There are three options on the comparison link:

1) Elec Shift On Demand Transfer Case
2) Electric Shift-On-The-Fly Transfer Case
3) Electronic Shift

EVERY 4X4 Crew Cab 6'4 Box trim level shows the first two as NOT AVAILABLE EXCEPT the Tradesman which shows the On The Fly as standard. Electronic shift shows as A (available meaning option) on the Tradesman and standard on every other trim. So what gives? What does a 4X4 Longhorn get?

#41 · (Edited)
Electronic Shift On Demand gives you the 4WD Auto. But, when you compare the 2 trucks I posted earlier in the thread, based on the "Window Sticker", it doesn't list a price next to it. :4-dontknow:

Here is the window sticker for the truck that has the 4WD Auto.
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7LG5ES203242

Here is the window sticker for the truck that DOES NOT have it.
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7LG8ES109436

#42 ·
Electronic Shift On Demand gives you the 4WD Auto. But, when you compare the 2 trucks I posted earlier in the thread, based on the "Window Sticker", it doesn't list a price next to it. :4-dontknow:

Here is the window sticker for the truck that has the 4WD Auto.
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7LG5ES203242

Here is the window sticker for the truck that DOES NOT have it.
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7LG8ES109436
Those two stickers show the Electronic Shift on the Fly as standard and replaced by Electronic Shift on Demand on one but not the other with the 22Z package being on both....weird...

#47 ·
You are correct. I have a '13 Big Horn and the 4WD Auto was standard with the 5.7L HEMI in 4x4 trucks. There ARE 2014 Big Horn 4x4 trucks out there with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar/8 speed combination that do not have the 4WD Auto and some that do. They have different transfer cases installed, for whatever reason. ;)

#57 ·
Did you pay extra for the option (4WD Auto)? When I look at the two different window stickers on the examples I gave, there was not a price next to the "Electronic Shift On Demand" item. So, if they are giving this away for free, I'm guessing everybody would select it. :LOL:

#49 · (Edited)
I would think a Laramie Longhorn would have the Elec Shift On Demand transfer case with the 4wd Auto option, since it is an upper trim level. May want to contact RAM to be sure! Here is where I called 866-726-4636. I had a VON number and the last 8 digits of my VIN to give them. I noticed too that some that have a 22z package have shift on demand and some don't. It is as clear as mud!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.