DODGE RAM FORUM banner

8 speed trans occasional clunk?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Explorer Rob 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 3.6l with the 8 speed tranny. On certain occasions I get a harsh trans clunk when going from 1st to second or 2nd to first at certain speeds. It has only happened 2 or 3 times in 2500 miles but I am a little concerned.

I only notice it in stop and go traffic. If I accelerate normally there is never an issue.

Anyone else have this? I read a similar thread with the 2014 Grand Cherokees and may try to reset the trans learning curve by disconnecting the neg battery terminal.

other than this small issue the truck has been flawless

#7 ·
I have 8sp Hemi, and found that when I first drive off for the 1st time after starting, it does not "clunk", but more of a hard (almost head jarring but not harsh) shift from 1st to 2nd. After about a mile or 2 all is good. I think I read that the Tranny does some type of "learn mode" upon 1st few miles after initial start-ups.

#16 ·
Once in a while, but I attribute it to my foot not being on the brake hard enough. I don't think its anything to worry about.

#18 ·
I have the 3.6, 8 speed and yes I do get an occasional clunk. It seems to only happen following just starting up the truck and going down the block after its been sitting for a while, I notice it has a pretty high idle after startup and its been that way since I bought it, I assumed the high idle was causing it somehow. I think the high idle is normal as they want to get the fluids warmed up quickly from what I read. By the way I have the 26 gallon tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.